Author Topic: dulcimer  (Read 767 times)

Bamacfa

dulcimer
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:02:27 pm »
I play the dulcimer and wanted to build my own. It looks like the thickness of the wood is about 1/4 inch on the box. So I would think I could do this on the scroll saw. I know this might be a hard one but does anyone have a pattern for making this instument? Many thanks in advance.

John

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: dulcimer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »
Hey John, This company has dulcimer kits, wood to build them, supplies and plans. I have bought from them and are a good company to deal with. http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=MK
If they don't have what you are looking for, do a google search, there are tons of other companies!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:27:15 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Bamacfa

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:26:06 pm »
Thanks Dgman, do you play the dulcimer?  I looked at their site and saw their kits. I have plenty of lumber and would like to build my own from scratch. If I cant5 do it I may buy a kit and get an idea of how to build one ..many thanks

John

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:06:28 pm »
I have one a friend built a few years ago, he has passed but I could ask his wife if you have trouble finding a good pattern, I play "a little" it sounds great.

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:10:09 pm »
No I don't. I belong to a large woodworking club here in Southern California. Ever other month we have a challenge. Not a competition, but rather a way to get the members to do something they otherwise wouldn't do. We had a challenge to build a musical instrument out of wood or something that makes noise. I chose the thumb piano from them. It came out great! I donated it to our annual toy drive.
If you look on their site they do sell plans for the Dulcimer.
Dan In Southern California

Bamacfa

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 09:04:54 pm »
Thanks Pete and I will look again at the site dgman,,,thanks

SMF

Teknoromi