Author Topic: A stupid question???  (Read 2703 times)

Charlie Dearing

A stupid question???
« on: May 09, 2010, 03:31:52 am »
Ok, we have alot of members.  Over 1000!  My guess is that some don't post because they might feel like their questions are stupid.  Folks, there is no such thing as a stupid question.  We all start out knowing nothing.  I still know alot of nothing!  Please don't hesitate to ask.
There IS such a thing as a stupid question sometimes in hindsight.  Rest assured though, in scrolling, there is no stupid question.
Also...scrolling isn't a competition.  Everyone's work is worthy of being seen so don't be shy!
P.S.- I say there is such a thing as a stupid question because when I was a child, a group of us kids were trying to come up with games to play.  Someone would suggest a game, and we would ask..."How do you play"?  Well, later on someone asked "Who wants to play inside"?  They meant, who wants to stop being outside and go in the house, but out of habit and one track mind, I asked "How do you play"?  That's the day I learned there is such a thing as a stupid question.  The last one I had was "Will you marry me Kathy"?  lol

mouse

Re: A stupid question???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:27:45 am »
I was taught the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask
Mick

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 10:01:41 am »
Mouse, you are absolutely correct!
Forget the 'bashful', "I'm embarrassed", "They's laugh at me" stuff!
Almost two years on various groups of scrollers and woodworkers and I have NEVER read any kind of sarcasm, put-down or any other form of ridicule for any question ever asked.
For those of us just starting out, sure your question was probably asked before, BUT learning comes from repetition and reinforcement, so every time an experienced scroller answers or reads your "stupid" question he also reinforces his/her own knowledge.
And just on the off chance, some other guy/gal may have a better, simpler, easier answer or way of doing something that has become habit.

Heck, I'm 72 and STILL learning everything I can!

~~~Graybeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 11:46:46 am »
I find that a lot of people are lurkers. They learn by reading all the questions and answers. and thats fine. On the other sites I visit I rarely post, But I feel comfortable here!
Dan In Southern California

Rightarm

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 02:04:09 pm »
   I remember being a new guy on the job. I would have questions about something that I felt interesting, and I would ask a question, (it could have been knots, or the recue K-1200 saw,etc), and this was the response I would get. Shut up rookie, sit down, be seen and not heard. We'll tell ya when the time is right. Well, I took it upon myself to learn whatever it was I needed to know. When the time was right, and we needed the K-1200 saw, and the Battalian Chief learned that I knew how to use it. They would call for me. Not saying I know everything about firefighting, because I don't. But after 29 years, when a rookie asks me a question, I'll take time to try to answer it the best I can. That to me is how you learn. Dave 8)

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 02:29:26 pm »
I couldn't agree more, scrollsaw people are very accepting. I post pics on occasion and get only kind comments. In the end I tell people I started out knowing nothing about scrolling and I still know most of it.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 02:49:24 pm »
Having someone to ask before you mess up will save a lot of time and wasted wood. You can learn from your mistakes or from asking someone. I wish I had someone to ask when I first got hired. There where no rookies when I started firefighting. I was the sixth person hired. Fresh out of fire school and eighteen (1976), it was either teach yourself, die or get injured. Well I am still here and have had only a few minor injuries.  8)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 03:08:13 pm by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 03:28:53 pm »
My 'helmet' is off to you FireFighters!
I was an auxillary and Volunteer for our local department when I was much younger and I will say in a heartbeat, "Thank You! for what you do"!
I know first hand what it is like going into a burning building and it suuuure as heck ain't fun by any stretch of anybody's imagination!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

chips

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 03:39:55 pm »
 Back in the old BBS days when if you wanted to get on a board out of town it was a LD call I lurked for about a year till the sysop said he'd noticed me on and why I didn't post any messages. Said he'd like to see me contribute a bit. But I was afraid I'd sound stupid. I finally got up enuf nerve to post a message and lo and behold no one said I was stupid, or to shut up until spoken to because I didn't know anything. Now you can't shut me up if I want to say something.  :)

Rightarm

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 04:57:40 pm »
    Thank ya GrayBeard
 Makes ya wonder who's the smartest. The people running out of a burning building, or people running into it.
    Chips,
  Never be still. Thats what makes us a free country. Dave 8)

Marshall

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 07:47:27 pm »
I strongly agree with Charlie , we never learn anything unless we ask questions . I just wish there would have been sites like this one and others when I first started out , I was dumber than dirt . Well excuse me I still am ..........they say we never get to old to learn ..........Marshall

jowshu98

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 11:30:02 pm »
Questions and answers are how we all learn. Every question is an opportunity to learn, whether receiving an answer or providing it. Some questions cause us to look or think about something differently than we may have ever done so before. I have yet to come across anyone in scrolling that has ever treated anyone with anything but respect when asking a question and trying to learn.

Don

shrimpmojo

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 02:49:33 am »
Chrarlie.....What kind of wood do you use on your portraits??? And where do you get your frames.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 03:09:53 am »
Any wood I can find (dumpsters) and I don't usually have frames.  No wood or tools to make them and cant afford to buy them.
Most commonly used wood for portraits is Baltic Birch plywood 1/4 inch.

SMF

Teknoromi