Author Topic: masking tape  (Read 2791 times)

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
masking tape
« on: October 01, 2011, 04:41:10 pm »
Hi all,
It's stupid question time i'm afraid.

I've seen a few people here that use masking tape to glue a pattern on.
Some were talking about the blue masking tape.
I found in the D.I.Y. shop two types.
Blue and brown.
The brown one is much cheaper then the blue tape.
Does anyone know what's the difference between these two, and why is it you guys use the blue masking tape.
Is there any reason for it?

Greetings Glenn.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: masking tape
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:56:25 pm »
Plain ol' tan/brown masking tape is aggressive and will leave much more residue on your workpiece. If left on very long it will be strong enough to break away small pieces when removed.

Blue, "Painters" tape is made to be less aggressive and remove easily therefore less danger  of breaking off small pieces.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 04:59:26 pm »
Glenn, I use blue tape because it sticks to the wood very well and the pattern adheres to it, too. Once the project is cut, the blue tape pulls off nicely without leaving any residue. I'm not sure of the brown tape unless it's just regular masking tape. The regular stuff sticks to the wood too well and will sometimes break delicate cuts. I also tried the purple tape but it didn't stick very well during cutting. My two cents.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

cherie

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 08:55:12 pm »
Glenn, you will find most of us that do use the blue painters tape in agreement on how it is used.  The brown masking tape, as I have used on other things as a kids, always stuck to something, came off in shreds if off at all.  The blue painters tape is easily removed.  However, I have experienced with some cheaper blue tape and found it does not stay on the wood very well at times, so I would always veer back to the Scotch brand at 2 inches wide.  There is a wider version I found, but the 2 inch I feel is best.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:17:10 pm »
Hey Glenn, Just to mix up the pot, I don't use the blue painters tape as I have a hard time removing the small bits between the the small fret cutouts. Instead I use clear packing tape on top of the pattern. The main reason to use tape is it "lubricates" the blade and helps eliminate burning. It also makes the blade last longer. The reason most people don't like using the clear packing tape is it is difficult to remove, and some people get glare off of the tape. I don't have a problem with the glare, and it is easy to remove the tape with the pattern by either spritzing it with mineral spirits or applying heat from a hair dryer or a heat gun.
It's always good to have different ways of doing things. You pick and choose what works for you!
Dan In Southern California

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:16:42 pm »
Hi Glenn.  If I were you I would listen to these guys.  So far none of them has lead me astray.  I use Blue painters tape because it works for me.  Good luck in whatever you are doing and make a lot of saw dust.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 02:17:39 am »
Thanks all for the information.
It helps a lot.
Blue tape it will be in the future...

Thanks for your time to reply.
Greetings Glenn.

Ps. as soon my wifey makes a few pics at the proper size to post, i will post some of my work.
Greetings Glenn.

thumbs

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 07:53:58 am »
Hi, Glenn--just to get you really confused, I recently started using Glad Press and stick--I got a tip from another scroller- just put over wood and rub it down until it's flat--I posted a cutting in the Brag section of Willie Nelson after I had used the press and seal--works great for me--JMHO--Richard aka thumbs

UHMNL

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 12:23:42 pm »
I use the package tape on top of the wood. When putting glue on the pattern I wait till it just sticks  a little. The tape has a chemical on top, so you can un-roll the tape. This is some kind of silicone and releases friction. it does not lubricate the blade. This information came from a 3M  tape rep.
FD Mike

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 01:38:10 am »
I started a project back in April but because its only for me and I have others things to cut and do its not finished yet.  I blue painters tape on the board and every now and again when I cut a bit out I just check that the tape will come of OK and so far so good.  With a bit of look it should be finished this week.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 01:55:20 pm »
Thanks all, even thanks for trying to confuse me even more... lol

I'm gonna try with blue tape, and see if that works well for me.

Thanks all for your time to reply

Greetings Glenn Belgium.

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 04:03:15 pm »
You should also have the light beige tape from "TESA". Works also great and sticks not so much to the wood (good when doing fretwork).

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 05:14:21 pm »
If you are using tape under your pattern ask for low tack tape it is easier to get off
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 05:22:51 pm »
The original tan/brown masking tape was made for the automotive painting industry and is a little more aggressive than the blue house painters tape. House painter's tape (usually blue) is rated by how many days it can be left up without leaving residue on the surface being masked. The longer-rated tapes are typically less adhesive, and are sold for use on smooth, delicate surfaces such as vinyl wallpaper and recently painted walls.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:59:50 pm »
Did my first scrolling with the blue masking tape... and it works very well!!
No residue at all on my piece, so a lot less sanding... thank god. :)
I think i'm gonna stick to the blue tape... ;D

Thanks all for the advice.

Glenn Belgium

SMF

Teknoromi