Author Topic: Cutting Fiberglass....  (Read 1531 times)

gracho

Cutting Fiberglass....
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:13:49 pm »
Hello everyone. So I ran into a bit of trouble cutting thin fiberglass. It is only 1mm thick, but my blade gos blunt in few minutes. IS there a specific way on how to cut fiberglass, or special blades or techniques? Any help would be appreciated!!!

David

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Cutting Fiberglass....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:41:12 pm »
Hey David, Welcome to the Forum. You should go over to the introduction page and introduce yourself.
I have never cut fiberglass so I can't give you any firsthand advice. The most important factor is to wear a respirator as fiberglass dust is very nasty stuff.
What kind of blade are you using? It seams you need to go to a bigger size blade.
1mm is less than 1/16th", So I would sandwich the FG between two layers of 1/8" Baltic birch plywood and use a larger blade than you were using. Maybe a #3 or #5 skip tooth blade.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:16:10 am »
I personally would NOT cut fiberglass the fibers can get into every thing and they are inert so they won't melt or rot! So once they get into your system they are nearly impossible to get out.
A dust mask will not protect your skin or eyes.
Please don't do it!
It isn't worth it.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:43:34 am »
I have never needed to cut fiberglass with my scroll saw. I have cut some for other projects (boats/cars) and I can tell you it eats up blades. I am thinking maybe a Flying Dutchman - Corian? Blades but you might want to contact Mike at Mike's Workshop Phone 1 605 582-6732 and ask him. You do need to take some extra safety precautions. A real good dust mask, safety glasses, good ventilation or dust collection system or maybe move the saw outside, if possible. I usually wear an old long sleeve shirt, with the sleeves and collar buttoned up and gloves to. I throw the old shirt away when finished. I am curious, what are you cutting fiberglass for?  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:47:30 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

gracho

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »
Thanks for all the responses. I understand how bad is it if the fiberglass dust gets into my system........ Protection is a must! I am trying to cut decently small frame for an RC quadcopter (UAV thing with 4 rotors). Getting it cut by somebody just costs too much and fiberglass is the only strong yet light material I can use. I`ll try using carbide coated blade, maybe that will help.....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 05:38:14 am »
If you can figure a way to cover it with oil or water while cutting that would wash the fine particles away. The only other thing I can think of is putting a vacuum hose right next to the blade and dissable the puffer so it isn't blowing into the room with you. I'm glad you are aware of the dangers involved. An abrasive cutter would solve the burnt out blade problem, but not the dust.
Good luck,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

gracho

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:53:38 pm »
BTW, if my vacuum is half an inch away from the blade, is that good enough? I can feel suction 2 or three inches around the blade, so I think that is good enough? But is it?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:20:46 pm »
I would still use a respirator and goggles!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:06:10 pm »
I would still use a respirator and goggles!

Yup better safe than sorry!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

gracho

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:13 pm »
I will use both of those plus gloves when I cut it. Ordered carbide coated blade today. Will post the results when I get it.

SMF

Teknoromi