Author Topic: finishing  (Read 2138 times)

Dav

finishing
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »
over the many months I have read about using lemon oil,tung oil, blo mixture but every time I try one of these I see no difference in the grain as compared to straight spray deft laquer.  I'm I doing something wrong by just putting the blo mix on and letting dry before spraying  or do I need to do something else to get the grain to pop more with out staining it?
Dav

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
Re: finishing
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:12:36 pm »
Dav, what type of wood are you working with, they all react a little differently. DGman is the expert on this type of stuff, but I do know you get different results from different types of wood. Some grains just show better then others once oiled, some species need to be enhanced to get the amount of "POP" you might desire. So if you can be a little more specific, it will help get a better answer.

Spraying lacquer on Oak, wont bring the grain out nearly as well as oiling it first will. Oiling a piece of Maple will not "Pop" the grain nearly as much as the oak does, regardless of oil or lacquer. So the type of wood you are using does have an effect on the type of finish you want to apply and the results you want from it.

As for using different oils to bring out the grain, oil is oil, they might have some different properties, but they all basically end up with a similar result looks wise.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:28:21 pm by TripleB »

Dav

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:53 pm »
most of my projects are either maple,walnut,cherry,baltic birch,  the  oil will change the color of the cherry to a darker cherry-red color otherwise the rest look the same except for shiny
Dav

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:45:05 pm »
Hay Dav, TripleB explained it well. It is a matter of taste what works for you. For me, I like a more natural look rather than stain. The oil will bring out the color and grain of most woods. Maple and BB are not one of those. Walnut and Cherry defiantly are enhanced by oil, In my opinion.
To get to best effect, I soak my projects in a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. I use old metal baking pans for this. let it soak for ten to twenty minutes. Then drain off, and then wipe off the excess oil. Let dry for at least 24 hours, then you can top coat. I use Deft semi gloss spray lacquer.
Dan In Southern California

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:00:09 am »
It helps if its a wood that already has a relatively pronounced grain, like oak or mahogany.  Adding the oil brings out more contrast in these grains.  Maple and birch don't have much grain anyhow, so there's very little effect in oiling.

MY2C

Offline LordSamuel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:24:30 pm »
Hay Dav, TripleB explained it well. It is a matter of taste what works for you. For me, I like a more natural look rather than stain. The oil will bring out the color and grain of most woods. Maple and BB are not one of those. Walnut and Cherry defiantly are enhanced by oil, In my opinion.
To get to best effect, I soak my projects in a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. I use old metal baking pans for this. let it soak for ten to twenty minutes. Then drain off, and then wipe off the excess oil. Let dry for at least 24 hours, then you can top coat. I use Deft semi gloss spray lacquer.

Hello dgman,

you are the last hope for me. I am here in Italy and I can not find the products you like. Today I shot half of Rome has been able to find just that. Do you think are good? If you like, and I use them?

http://digilander.libero.it/lord_samuel/traforo/16102011190.jpg

http://digilander.libero.it/lord_samuel/traforo/16102011194.jpg
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:32:11 pm by LordSamuel »

Offline LordSamuel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:54:06 pm »
up  :(

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 02:39:01 pm »
Hello LordSamual, Unfortunately I don't speak or read Italian so I can't answer your question. Can you translate the labels to English?

Offline LordSamuel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 02:52:47 pm »
I try ...

1 - Photo: oil linen cooked

2- Photo: turpentine odorless

The last picture is the English translation

help me I do not know what to do

CNLNC

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:19 pm »
@Lordsamuel
I'm sure Dan will give you the professional answer (He knows alot), but when in doubt just get a piece of scrap wood of the same type and give it a try. Mix 50/50 of the cooked linen oil and turpentine and go for it.
I've even tried old motor oil to see how it would work on different types of wood. Don't be shy, just give it a try and let us know how it worked for you.

Good luck!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 06:42:13 pm »
LordSamuel. Yes, CNLNC is right. I think what you have will work. Mix a small amount together in a 50/50 mix. Apply it to a piece of scrap wood.Wipe off the excess off, Let it dry, and see how you like it. If it works for you great! The spray varnish will make an excellent top coat. Good luck.

Offline LordSamuel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:24:52 am »
Thanks CNLNC and dgman. Tonight I try and then I will tell you! (thanks also to understand my English / google)  :)

Offline LordSamuel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 04:20:07 am »
Perfect! with oil and turpentine 50/50 are great! The only thing that finishing aerosol leaves the object a little sticky even leaving it to dry for two days ... how can I do??

Marshall

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 11:15:24 am »
most of my projects are either maple,walnut,cherry,baltic birch,  the  oil will change the color of the cherry to a darker cherry-red color otherwise the rest look the same except for shiny
Dav
Dav I'm no expert either , but the lemon oil seems to do better for me on the Cherry too ......This name plate really turned out great with the lemon oil - it's hard to tell in this - but it did ......

Offline LordSamuel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 05:18:39 am »
Perfect! with oil and turpentine 50/50 are great! The only thing that finishing aerosol leaves the object a little sticky even leaving it to dry for two days ... how can I do??

someone help me?  :-[

SMF

Teknoromi