Author Topic: pricing items - Candle Holder  (Read 988 times)

tux_linux

pricing items - Candle Holder
« on: September 20, 2011, 04:20:50 pm »
Hey!

I have cut the Candle Holder pattern. It took me nearly 2 hours to finish that one (without finish ;D ).

How would you price that one? Is there any chance to make some like those at a reasonable price?
Stack cutting doesn't work for the cage, as I already stack-cut the sides / front&rear.

I also wanted to make some of these Heart&Cats Wind light because I have quite some japanese paper left from model craft times - I don't think I would get paid out.

So, how do you handle this? Case of mixed calculation?

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: pricing items - Candle Holder
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:10:30 pm »
Not being critical, just asking.  Can those little nipples that stick out be made flush to the sides without affecting the integrity of the project?  I think I would prefer that look over the current design.

I think I'd price these around $25-$30.00.  However they look pretty involved to try and make a profit on them.  So I would probably pass on trying to make them for sale just do them as gifts.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:19:43 pm »
It's detachable, there is also a base plate which is not on the photo.

hmm, you're probably right, I'll give the othr one a try and see how that works. Might stack cut that one, so I have 2 at once.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:26:19 pm »
What is the thickness of the wood? If you are using 1/4", then try using 1/8" and stack cut more at once. As far as pricing, material is probably not much, but your time may be. If you want to get paid for the time you put into it, price it accordingly. A lot of ornament patterns suggest using 1/4" but I found that they sell just as good when made with 1/8" stock.
That's my two cents. (Dang it! I'm broke again.)
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:54:33 pm »
why is it that you can not stack cut them?

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:51:39 am »
@towdude
I did stack cut - 2 x 1/4" equals 1/2". If I'm adding in another 2 layers (for a second cage) I'll be at 1" which makes it hard to cut with a decent blade. I would need a #5 at last, now I used #3 which worked fine with the details.

@ Dan
hmm, yeah, good idea. I could try a 1/8" version..

SMF

Teknoromi