Author Topic: Sanding  (Read 1323 times)

bigred7469

Sanding
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:20:25 pm »
How do you sand in those really hard to get to spots?  Or the lines thats just a blade wieth?  Thanks

Red

Bill P

Re: Sanding
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 06:59:24 pm »
I use these: http://abrapowercn.com/products/b/20101218154917.jpg

I also use the "sanding sponge" from Harbor Freight.

Bill P

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:53:49 pm »
Red those thin lines don't need to be sanded most of the fret work cuts don't either.
Maybe a little touch up front and back after you've finished cutting and taking the rest of the pattern off. If you use good scroll reverse blades hardly any sanding is needed. The StudHoss in the gallery was sanded front and back before the tape and pattern went on, then lightly with a fine paper after it was all done and the tape came off! No one is going to be looking inside the cuts most of this stuff is viewed from a few feet away like a painting.
My nickles worth,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:55:59 pm »
If I find that i have a few fuzzies I use old dental picks, emery boards and sandpaper i can fold in half and place in my saw.  Those are just a few ideas for you.  Some folks use a butane torch, I have not had very good luck using those for small jobs.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:08:56 pm »
Someone had talked about using a torch and lightly passing over the areas with fuzzies. I tried it and it does work pretty well. Just be sure to keep it moving. I also cut some thin strips of 220 sandpaper, feed them in the kerf and do some light sanding. On hardwood, I almost never have to sand, but on plywood and soft woods, almost always need some sanding.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:45 pm »
Flap sander is good
Jimbo

SheGold

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:50:08 am »
I use the fine paper strips and I also have a set of small wood files.. They are tiny for small places... Hope this helps... Sheila

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:22 am »
emery boards - it has been a tip from Chachi (Clickedy) and works great!

I got about a dozen from a 1Euro-Shop - totally worth it.

I also have some 240 sand paper glued on a simple board - that's easy for tiny parts to get a slick surface.
After that just shape the edges a bit with the emery board.

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 03:20:07 pm »
I use the fine paper strips and I also have a set of small wood files.. They are tiny for small places... Hope this helps... Sheila

Ditto, along with the emery boards.  Whatever fits/works best for the particular space I'm trying to get into to sand.

bigred7469

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 10:04:38 pm »
I do use alot of softwoods and plywood at the moment since I'm still new to scrolling.  I'll have to try some oak and see if I still get the fuzzies.  Thanks everybody

Red

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:23 am »
Since I use nothing but spirial blades I do have more fuzzies but the sanding mop that Steve reviewed does a great job of finish sanding and the fuzzies.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 09:52:45 pm »
I recently tried the torch method that Dan mentioned above.
I was really amazed how well it worked for getting rid of the fuzzies. I had stack cut a picture that I really thought I would only need one of, so I thought it was a good time to try it. I used the torch on the bottom piece (the worst fuzzies) the flame burned the fuzzies and they pretty much fell off, or wiped away. It ended up looking better then the piece I used my normal sandpaper and emery board method.

I also like using an x-acto knife to help get rid of some of the fuzzies.

SMF

Teknoromi