Author Topic: Staining etc.... :+}  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Staining etc.... :+}
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:44:22 pm »
There is a article in the Scrollsaw mag. about mixing Sanding Sealer and Paint Thinner.  50/50 and applying it to your project.  24 hrs. drying time and I just had to mention that I AM VERY, VERY HAPPY with the outcome.  The project I experimented on was my DRAGON.  The large oval.  Anyway after the mixture dried I could see that all the inside fretwork looked like it had already been varnished.  220 grit sanding and it is really, really smooth. 

Has anyone heard or used this process?  Tks............Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

royb

Re: Staining etc.... :+}
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 03:26:27 pm »
Hi Danny.
I've not tried this on a scroll saw project as I am only just starting out and still experimenting, however in the days when I woodturned this was the standard way to finish a project.  Sanding sealer and thinner 50/50.  I loved that part of a project when the sealer went on the wood and grain pattern showed through..  I used either Mylands wax or Melamine lacquer as a top coat finish depending on whether I wanted a natural or high gloss finish.  With the Melamine lacquer you need to get heat in to it, easily done on a lathe but I wondered if a polishing mop on a drill might do the trick?
Hope this helps.
Roy

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:08:22 am »
Thanks for your input Roy....  Like I said I am happy with the outcome of this new way.  Have you ever added a color to the sealer n thinner like (I am just guessing here?) maybe a stain or oil?  I am a fan of the different darker shades as I think the finish (lacquer/poly) brings out the beauty of the piece.  Danny:+}

thumbs

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:20:32 am »
Danny, have you tried mineral spirits/sanding sealer combo--I was wondering about the odor of thinner even after 24 hours --Richard aka ;D thumbs

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:21:31 am »
No I haven't Richard, but will give it a shot down the road.  I did get another reply about this procedure.  Only use a 25/75% ratio.  25% thinner or sprites.
This advice is from a guy that was into finishing cabinets.  Guess to each his own probably applies tho.  Danny  :+}

peterjf50

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:23 am »
Danny,

What products did you use for your mix?  Would like to give it a try

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:53:36 am »
Hello Peter....  Minwax Sanding Sealer and paint thinner. 
The second time I live much better as there is some color in the wood.
Its in thirds....  Sealer, paint thinner and Danish oil dark walnut.   After it dries real good it only takes a light sanding to get that smooth feel of the wood. I was advised a long time ago to use a regular brown paper bag and use it like you would sand paper.  Works very well.  Anyway....  Danny  :+}

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:10:05 pm »
Danny, which mag did you find this in? i have SS woodworking & crafts issue 44 & creative
Woodworks crafts Nov.,2011 & i cant find it. i even have my glasses on. thanks

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:02:14 am »
Hey termite....  SS Woodworking & Crafts .... Issue 43....Summer 2011
The article is on page 48....  Has a Fretwork Dragon.  Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi