Author Topic: From the past.  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
From the past.
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:31:38 am »
I went to the Kansas State Fair yesterday and learned something from the past.
There was a booth showing a scroll saw called the "Hawk". I had heard of that brand along time ago but not much lately. Come to find out the Hawk saw is manufactured in Bushton Kansas!
It seems to be a nice little saw (They come in 16". 20" and 26" throat capacity) but a little pricey for me just now. The 20" saw sells for $1200.00 and the 26" is $1400.00.
I didn't have a chance to try it out (altho it was offered for me to cut a little, I didn't have time.) but, it seemed very quiet and I think it may come with a foot dead pedal and stand as well as a blower and uses pinless blades.
My point is....Or question is.... Does anyone on this forum have one or have you used one enough to give a report on?
I really like the idea of it being American made along with the simplicity of the way it is made. It is made by Bushton Manufacturing In Kansas USA!!  :)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: From the past.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:38:43 am »
My current saw is the 26 inch model, and I had the 16 prior to that.  In my opinion they RBI Hawk is one of the best saws ever built.  Smooth, quiet, lasts forever I just can't say enough about them.  RBI went out of business a few years ago and the whole operation was bought out by Bushton who has continued to keep parts available and seems to be starting to market the tools again.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:39:48 am »
The original manufacturers went out of business leaving the owners fo the Hawk high and dry. Bushton bought the patents and the plant and got the saw back on the market I think without changing a thing.
I've never used one but I know an owner who would not trade it for anything including an EX 30!
His comment..."Damn good saw built HERE!"

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:39:42 pm »
Hey Rog
It's probably just as well you didn't try it from what everyone is saying. You might have gone home and thrown rocks at your old saw. 1200 is a lot of clams for a hobby tool.
Good to hear that we are still building good stuff in America!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

KENINLEX

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:59:27 pm »
 I bought a 220 hawk on craigslist for $400 and have been very happy with it.
Ken

rochar3

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 07:45:02 am »
I, too bought a used Hawk G4 on Craigs list and found the MFR. to be very accommodating  with parts etc. Very smooth running and built like a tank. Only drawback is it does not accept the little sanding strips and file blades that are sold by Olson. The blade holder is different and can not accept them. However the ease of changing blades more than makes up for this short coming. All kinds of great deals on your local Craigs list for higher end saws.
Bob

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:49:57 am »
I bought the Hawk 220vs on Craiglist for $299, the 2004 model in an unopened box.  It was a great saw, rock steady and very little vibration.  It's a bottom feed only saw, but it will take the files sold on line.  You may have to file a bit off the width, but they work fine.  It won't take the sanding strips however.  I thought I wanted to do top feeding and sold the saw, buying an EX21.  I'd say the two are comparable as far as quality is concerned.  Now that I have the EX21 I find that I prefer bottom feeding and am a bit sorry I sold the Hawk, even though I made money on the sale.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

SMF

Teknoromi