Author Topic: Noisy Saw  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Noisy Saw
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:13:21 pm »
I recently noticed my saw making a clattering sound. It must have been going on for some time but being engrossed with what I was doing it didn't register. Once I became aware of it though it seemed to get louder and louder. Kind of like when a mosquito buzzes your ear.
I tried to localize where the noise was coming from and couldn't. Oiled the parts the manual says to do. No help. checked the front blade clamps, nothing.
Finally took the screws out of the rear link to the top and bottom arms. Bingo!
Both screws and the link were badly worn, the link holes are egg shaped, and the shoulder area of the screws are flattened. Probably near a 1/16"  + or - of play.
Ordered the parts from eReplacementParts.com
I've had good personalized service from these people in the past, so I'll keep using them as long as the service stands up. My only complaint is they seldom have the parts in stock so their is a waiting period. Their diagrams come right from the manual and it is easy to find the part you need after zooming in on the page. Clicking on the number opens a pop up with a photo of the part and the price, with a link to put in your shopping cart.
They have an 800 number if you would rather not shop on line.
My thanks to Blair Kunze for the personalized service!

Gabby likes them!   ;D
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Noisy Saw
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:10:52 pm »
What happened Gabby?  You run out of bailing wire and duct tape?  If I read right, you already tried the wd-40 approach.
Sorry you're having a problem.  Hope it didn't knock your saw down until the new parts come.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Chachi

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:16:31 am »
Naaaa bIll He qjust needs to chew more Bubble gum the bailin wire is what holds the blade in place and he uses the duct tape for the Locking nut now this is at the back of the saw so it needs the Bubble gum.....

Yeah Gabby I hope the saw isn't down but if it is Sorry to hear that.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:52:22 am »
Well you wonderful supportive sweet guys.  ;) Sarcastic wink.

I just put in a couple of hours of noisy cutting, it does get on my nerves but I figured WTH it can't make too much difference the parts are already toast but look strong enough to take a little more abuse at least till the new parts get here. I slowed the blade speed down and that helped with the noise some. That may be part of my not noticing it sooner because I've only lately gotten the confidence to crank it up some, also blaming my heavy handedness for making it knock.
I expect to be able to go with the wind when I get the new parts installed! LOL
Look out Slowcutter I'm gaining on ya. LMBO

Thanks guys,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 02:29:33 am »
Do they (eReplacementParts.com)do body parts as well? I need a few lol iggy
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:42:04 am »
Do they (eReplacementParts.com)do body parts as well? I need a few lol iggy

I don't know Iggy, give them a call maybe they can cob something together for you.   ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:52:10 am »
Gabby you should be way ahead of me.
For the last few weeks it seams like every thing goes wrong.
Where did the line go,sh   turned the wrong way ,know I measured it twice.
Love making saw dust hate making fire wood ,don't have a wood stove.
LOL
JP
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:49:31 am »
Well I guess you will have to have a Weenie roast out in the yard. No sense letting that fancy fire wood go to waste.

An update on the saw. Started cutting yesterday and it was hammering away. Then suddenly it went quiet, and has stayed pretty quiet last night and earlier today. If It starts to clatter I stop and start back up and it just hums along. If I hadn't seen the damage with my own 2 eyes I wouldn't believe there was anything wrong with it. Spooky!!!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 11:41:33 am »
Have you been cutting out those Halloween patterns everybody's been posting?  Maybe your saw is haunted!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:27 pm »
Bill
Nope, I'm not much into Halloween.
I'm like Luke Skywalker, trying to stay away from the Dark Side! LOL
I'm not a great fan of gallows humor or witches and goblins, horror movies turn me off especially the blood and guts variety. I see no value in them.

I'm working on a portrait which is going rather slowly, I'm cutting it somewhat on the small size in order to put it on my shrinking wall space. I promise to post it when finished. Smaller is more difficult I find, having to make everything smaller makes it more fragile as well as requiring more precision.
A noisy machine distracts when working on something like that, it also causes more vibration too, more distraction as well.
Boy I sure love my spell checker, makes me look like I know what I'm talking about. LOL  ::)
Gabby 
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

tux_linux

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »
Gabby - I bet your rants and curses are the loudest noise ;D

But yeah, I have noticed some more noise on my saw too. I'll check it in the next days.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:32:21 pm »
Gabby - I bet your rants and curses are the loudest noise ;D

But yeah, I have noticed some more noise on my saw too. I'll check it in the next days.

Actually Torsten, I only make nasty talk if something really goes BANG and scares the crap out of me and quits working altogether! Then if you have tender ears it would pay to be elsewhere. (I was a sailor after all!)
This kind of problem makes me be Sherlock Holmes trying to find the culprit. The noise was hard to locate because it was being telegraphed to the front of the machine. So it required tearing into it to find the culprit. Happily I did and it's not going to be an expensive fix. YAY

No machine made by mans hands lasts forever, they all wear out eventually, so I'm giving mine an extension. As long as it's nickles and dimes not a problem. If it turns into big $$ that will be time to consider a replacement or find something else to do with my time. So I'm praying to the god of machines that it keeps running as long as I still can use it.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 11:14:08 pm »
OK Folks, it's now 11 days later and my new parts arrived today. Pretty good time actually since they had to order them in, they didn't have them in stock.
They came by USPS not Fedex or UPS.

Now the good part, I finished the cutting part of my project last night, wouldn't you know it!?

Jerked the old parts out and put the new ones in, it now purrs like a kitten almost as quiet as my wife's sewing machine, and vibration is less too. So one more hurdle jumped, now on to more cutting. As soon as I put the finishing touches on this one that is.

Once more a happy customer of eReplacementparts.com. 
;D ;D ;D ;D

Boy I wish I was getting kick backs. LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 02:09:05 pm »
good to hear a successful story Gabby!
good to know you back on track real well with your saw.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 05:52:16 am »
The darnedest part is I haven't cut a lick since I fixed the saw. Wasn't feeling too good and just couldn't get motivated to finish the portrait out. A very delicate part broke, and I said a few harsh words. Finally got around to gluing it back today. I'll check it tomorrow and see if it will hold till I get a backer to glue the whole thing to. I also am doing some experimentation on some scrap trying to get just the shade of stain I want for it. One thing about being retired is there isn't anyone saying hurry up and get it done. Unless it's the Big Boss we all have to answer to!
Besides I like keeping everyone in suspense.  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi