Author Topic: Can't cut outline of circle?  (Read 2638 times)

saggioculo

Can't cut outline of circle?
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:47:29 pm »
I want to cut a circle about half way through the thickness of a piece of wood.  Normally I'd use one of my fostner bits, but they remove all the wood within the circle.  What I need to do is just cut out the outline of the circle without removing the wood within the circle and only about half way through the thickness of the wood.  Does that make sense? 
Is there a bit that does that? 

Thanks so much!
Anne

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Can't cut outline of circle?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:35:12 pm »
Anne, This is possible to do if you have the tools to do it. There is no bit that will do it but it can be done. If you have a band saw, you can resaw a slice of wood from the back side of the board. Then with the scroll saw, cut out the portion of the circle that you need. Then glue the back of the board back on. I can't see any other way of doing it other than chiseling it out.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:38:57 pm »
Another way is to use a plunge router with a circle jig.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:29 pm »
OK, after re reading your post, are you wanting to make a circle and leave the inside? A hole saw will do it but it will leave a pilot hole in the center. I suppose you could fill the pilot hole with a dowel or maybe some wood putty if it is going to be painted.
Can you post a picture of the project or pattern so we can see what it is you need to do?
Dan In Southern California

saggioculo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:16:50 pm »
I have a plunge router...I don't know what a circle jig is though.  I center pilot hole is absolutely OK.  What I need is something like a fostner bit except without removing the inner circle of the wood...just an outline.

saggioculo

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:31:19 pm »
OK...I found a picture of what I need.  Unfortunately, the article with the picture is talking about DIY remodeling a kitchen and says NOTHING about the picture of the bit.  I don't get it!!!  Does anyone know what this type of bit is actually called and where I can get them...hopefully in different sizes? 
Many, many thanks!!!!!
Anne

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:47:18 pm »
Those are called hole saw bits and come in different sizes. They can be found at most hardware or lumber stores, Home Depot, Lowes. Here is a link from Home Depot showing a kit with different sizes.  ;) Hole Saw Kit
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:55:51 pm »
that is a hole saw as dgman said. your picture has a 1/4 inch bit. they come in different sizes. Lowes,
Home Depot or any store like that carries them. electricians & plumbers also use them.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:12:15 pm »
If you have a drill press, you can set it to stop at whatever depth you wish, and if you want to you should be able to remove the center pilot bit if needed then the only cutting would be the circle.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:14:13 pm »
If you get the kind that has a pilot bit which is held in with a set screw, you can chuck it up in a drill press, clamp down your wood and get a circle without the pilot hole.  

First remove the drill bit by removing the set screw.

Also start the hole slowly with light pressure to begin with.

Karl

(Wow Gabby - great minds...) posting at the same time

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:20:07 pm »
Yeah we're both slumming. LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

saggioculo

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:27:50 pm »
THANK YOU!!!  You are all awesome.  Thank you so much for your great help and incredible patience with a newbie!

Anne

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 12:12:26 am »
MOST of us are very patient with 'newbies' for the simple reason that we too were 'newbies' and someone did the same for us!

Ask any question, anytime!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 12:29:48 am »
Another option if you have a drill press is a "fly cutter" bit.  They are usually adjustable as far as the diameter of the circle, and cut with either 1 or 2 spurs which rotate around the center hole bit.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 02:55:01 am »
Another option if you have a drill press is a "fly cutter" bit.  They are usually adjustable as far as the diameter of the circle, and cut with either 1 or 2 spurs which rotate around the center hole bit.

Hey Bill I have to add, they aren't for novices to power tools! Those spinning arms with the cutters can be quite dangerous to someone not knowing what they are doing.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi