Author Topic: Mask and Glasses  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
Mask and Glasses
« on: September 08, 2011, 04:38:15 pm »
Question guys?I have an overhead dust vacuum and a blower on my saw plus a fan and filter near what I am cutting. The problem is do you think I could get away without wearing a mask.Even though I have a mask that says will not fog up your glasses, it still does.Very annoying.I tried everything. I even went to a scuba diving store and they gave me these drops but I still get the fog.Let me know what you think...Thanks Dave

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Mask and Glasses
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:56:44 pm »
Dave, I do not use a mask, but I know I should. Lately I have had my dust collection hose clamped to the top of my scroll saw table. It does a pretty good job of collecting the airborne dust, but I still should wear a mask.
I have heard that wiping your glasses with a used clothes dryer sheet will help with the fogging.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:58:22 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

alien11

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:25:09 pm »
Dave:

I don't use a mask ( I assume you mean a face shield) at the scroll saw, or the band saw. However, I always use a shield at the lathe; and occasionally at the table saw. Fogging was always an issue until a got a powered face shield. There are several brands, and they all share one thing - they are pricey. I wouldn't go back. They give better physical protection, they filter the air blown across your face, and that moving air prevents condensation from forming on your glasses as well as on the interior of the shield.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:37:30 pm »
I believe he (Dave) is referring to a dust mask, not a shield.  I have the dust b gone and it does not fog up my glasses------ if I hold my breath....LOL  Actually it does quite well.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:06:32 pm »
your set up sounds like it should get most of the dust. I don't wear my mask very often while sawing (i like to sing while cutting and the mask gets in the way) while sanding I always have the mask on.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:14:48 pm »
To keep your glasses from fogging up, use a drop or two of "Rain-X". Put it on both inside and outside of the lenses. Just wipe it around a bit, let it dry and then buff with a lint free cloth.
Yes, I'm talking about the Rain-X that is for the windshield of your car. It can be purchased at your local auto parts store. It is not real cheap but, a bottle will last you for YEARS!! I've been using mine for about 8 years now.
It is great in the winter when you come in from outside and your glasses fog up right away too.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 07:35:43 pm »
The only time I wear a mask is when I am cutting Cedar, Walnut or Black Walnut.  I have a Dr. friend of mine that keeps me supplied with surgical masks.  They work great.  Get it tight around your nose and my glsses do not fog up.  I have heard of useing Rain-X before.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:56:24 pm »
your set up sounds like it should get most of the dust. I don't wear my mask very often while sawing (i like to sing while cutting and the mask gets in the way) while sanding I always have the mask on.
Hey Katie, What kind of music do you sing while scrolling?
Signed, An old guy
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:29 am »
I don't use a mask while scrolling, but I did when diving.  Most frequent divers use a couple of drops of baby shampoo mixed in water instead of the expensive drops sold at dive shops.  Just about all the pro spearfishing guys I knew did the same.  Never tried it on a shop mask.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 06:51:46 pm »

Now there's a video I'd like to hear. Acapella or with a blaring boom box?

I would not scroll if it weren't for a mask, I was choking and actually getting sick from all saw dust, I now use it with my table saw, sander etc...
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 07:50:16 pm »
I usually sing country music. Not much of this new stuff if I can help it, I like twangy older stuff ;)
Most of the time I have back-up, but sometimes I sing acapella.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 09:32:35 pm »
My Kind of Girl!

I'll bet you do a mean Patsy Cline!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 02:14:30 am »
I usually sing country music. Not much of this new stuff if I can help it, I like twangy older stuff ;)
Most of the time I have back-up, but sometimes I sing acapella.

Katie lets hear you sing "Blue" by Leanne. Purdy song little Darlin'.
You betcha!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 09:20:13 pm »
Thanks for all the help.I will try them all out.I'm not to sure about the singing....Dave

SMF

Teknoromi