Author Topic: Problem with Delta 40-601  (Read 6937 times)

curryd

Problem with Delta 40-601
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:11:20 am »
as some of you know, the Delta 40-601 is an older, but well made, durable saw. I have been using the saw with not even a hint of a problem for the last several months. I decided to sell the saw since I have a Dewalt that is my daily driver.

The day after I sold the saw, I received a call from the buyer indicating that the saw was not operating at all. When I asked what happened, he indicated that his young son was playing around with the saw on the lowest RPM setting, which is a crawl, and the saw turned off when he put his finger over the airtube that blows the dust away (blocking the air from coming out). After which the saw did not turn on again.

He indicated that he could hear a small hum when he turned the saw on again, but now, after repeated attempts of turning it on i'm sure, there is no noise. The digital RPM read out still works and changes when you turn the knob, but the saw doesn't move. Since it is an older saw, I can't locate a manual, so I wanted to pick your brain and see if there was a fuse or something that could be replaced to solve the problem.

Second question is do you think the saw quitting was due to misuse, or was it just bad timing?

tux_linux

Re: Problem with Delta 40-601
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:46:31 am »
I think the engine burned. There will be much to do about this.

I don't know if I should recommend this (a bit dangerous):
Attach the engine directly to the power inlet. The saw should run at full speed when the AC is plugged in.

BE extremely CAREFUL! Electricity can make you look ugly and dumb.

If the engine is burned you can get a AC blackout in your work shop or even in the house.

Waddawood

Re: Problem with Delta 40-601
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:58:56 am »
Go here: http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail?isId=true&productNumber=40-601&selectedType=11341#
It will ask you which type you have.  Type 1 or type 2.  There are downloadable pdf's etc on the right hand side of the page.
Parts diagram, etc here: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-40601-type-1834-scroll-saw-parts-c-3275_3505_14014.html?osCsid=233fc221fa2ebc5f03a8345ed2ff6b2f
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:03:02 am by Charlie Dearing »

SMF

Teknoromi