Author Topic: WOOD  (Read 2396 times)

saggioculo

WOOD
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:04:04 pm »
Since I've basically just started in the scroll saw art, I find myself frustrated with my limited amount of wood worthy of the projects I want to do.  Normally, when doing holiday lawn decorations I use MDF.  Seeing how the finished project is painted, why use nice wood for that?  Now that I want to do fancy scroll saw art that's not going to be painted, I need some nice wood.  I have blocks of birch, cedar and mahogany which is for carving. 
I am disabled which pervents me for going to a lumber yard or hardware store to pick out my own wood.  Having to rely on someone to pick out my wood has been a nightmare to say the least.  I know the folks at Lowes and Home Depot are trying to be helpful, picking out the most cost effective wood or "this will work just fine" isn't what I'm looking for. 
Looking online simply isn't the way to go either as the description isn't always the same as what you actually get, not to mention the cost of shipping which truly hurts when on a fixed income. 
So, how do I get nice wood...nice meaning doesn't have more knots then workable surface, stains nicely, etc. I've also found that shopping for wood for "artsy" types of projects is more expensive. 
OK...I've whined look enough.  Any suggestions on where to get some wood that will work for scroll saw projects, that won't cost an arm and a leg and shipping won't be more then the wood itself? 

Much Thanks
Anne

SheGold

Re: WOOD
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:25:46 pm »
Anne you might try Sloans   http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/default.htm .. It's online and the folks are great, shipping is reasonable and I think they'd do their best to help you... Hope this helps.. Sheila

saggioculo

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:09:52 pm »
Anne you might try Sloans   http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/default.htm .. It's online and the folks are great, shipping is reasonable and I think they'd do their best to help you... Hope this helps.. Sheila

Exactly what I was looking for!!!  Thank you so, so very much!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:15:14 pm »
Unfortunately Sloan's is no longer carrying hardwoods. Try www.ocoochhardwoods.com. they have nice woods at good prices.
Dan In Southern California

saggioculo

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:15:52 pm »
Unfortunately Sloan's is no longer carrying hardwoods. Try www.ocoochhardwoods.com. they have nice woods at good prices.

Great site as well.  Thank you.  The other site does have mahogany ply and I do have to say that I have a passion for mahogany.  I use it alot when hand carving stuff.  It finishes soooo nice.  Great wood to hand carve with...my favorite by far.
Thanks for the site.  I do believe I'll be doing some shopping at both sites.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:11:42 pm »
Hi anne
 I understand your predicament completely. I too am disabled. I do most of my work from a wheelchair and I have a really hard time hand picking my own wood. dgman is right, oooch is really good. I have bought from them and the shipping is pretty good. The wood is very good also. If you like mahogany, try Sapele. It is in the mahogany family and is cheaper. I love working with it. Good luck with everything

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:40:55 pm »
Check and see if you have a woodsmith store nesr you.  They have evey type of wood you can think of.  They also ship too.  This is where I get all my wood from.  I go to Menards for my pine.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 06:41:06 pm »
Get on the phone and call some of the local 'cabinet' shops in your area and explain your situation.
They may have cutoffs and various odd pieces you can work with.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:23:45 am »
You can also look at Rockler.com
If you sign up for their emails you can get free shipping several times during the year.

ckoloff

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 04:14:07 pm »
slaons is a great place to get scroll saw blanks of a lot different woods and is not all the exspentive.  I have
used the product s for the 5years now.
hope this is a help. ckoloff

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 04:39:51 pm »
Hey Anne....  I say Sloans for ordering scroll products.  Been using them for years and they only take orders via tele. and they ship fast.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 08:39:29 pm »
I get some pieces off of eBay. The company has bundles that fit in flat rate postage boxes, which helps a bit.
Someone else mentioned that Rockler frequently sends out free shipping offers.
If you are looking for good plywood try Michaels or JoAnn crafts. The price in line with other places, and there is only one type so you can have someone pick it up for you.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 04:33:24 am »
Rockler's free shipping offers sound good, - bet they wouldn't ship to the U.K. free though lol.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 05:21:19 pm »
I have bought 1/8" oak & maple from Ocooch Hardwood as well as Memphis Hardwood and have had good service from both.

Offline tinker1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »
I've had good experiences with this company (with its woods, patterns, etc.)

larger patterns (yard art, etc.)
http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/

fretwork type patterns
http://www.scrollerltd.com/

Tink

SMF

Teknoromi