Author Topic: Organizing wood?  (Read 1175 times)

EZgoing

Organizing wood?
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:00:13 am »
I'm wondering how others store and keep track of all the different woods you wind up with?

Do you keep all your pine, oak etc... together but on seperate shelves, no matter the size of it (even little 'scraps'), or maybe cut it up into smaller sizes when you get it to keep them in seperate boxes or ???

Just wondering how others keep track of what they have on hand, without loosing track of what kind of wood it is etc...  Many pieces look a LOT alike, like unfinished red and white oak, basswood and aspin etc...

Ez

canadasgall

Re: Organizing wood?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:16:34 am »
i keep mine on shelves and only cut of peices that i need i mark what kind of wood at each end then of course i have plenty of unknown that i keep planed so i can see the grain and color with a spray of mineral spirits, and i have a box for my scraps which keeps growing lol

Marshall

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:50:58 am »
Mine is all rough lumber , that's already air dryed and I keep up all standing straight up and no bowing has taken place . In some of these different kinds like Birch and Cherry I have marked then with a magic marker so I can tell the difference of what kind ........Marshall  ;D

Becky

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:13:11 am »
This is one of those "smack yourself in the forehead" moments.  Duh.  I need to start marking which wood is what.  I don't have that much sitting around (yet) but that is still the obvious thing to do.  Now why didn't I think of that?

What wood I do have is also as straight upright as I can get it.  I don't have shelves.  I asked a guy at Woodcraft and he said if I stood it up really straight it would be OK and I could spend my money on wood insead of shelves.

SMF

Teknoromi