Author Topic: I am a top feeder!  (Read 2137 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
I am a top feeder!
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:24:10 am »
For those of you who have a saw with a lifting upper arm such as DeWalt and Excalibur, How many of you top Feed? With my old saw I had no choice but to feed from the bottom. But since I've owned my DeWalt, I have become a top feeder!
I do a lot of fret work and can't imagine feeding from the bottom any more.
So how about you, are you a bottom feeder or a top feeder?
Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: I am a top feeder!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:41:52 am »
I enjoy my ol' yeller but I'm still a bottom feeder.  I keep bending blades when I try to top feed.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

garyinnevada

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:13:22 am »
I have a 220vs Ultra Hawk. I have always bottom fed. I cant imagine anyone top feeding. It seems impossible to me!! lol
I would love to see a video of someone top feeding, I cant imagine being able to get the blade in the bottom clamp without looking under the saw every time.

My saw is set up for top feeding but Im sure I could never use that option, Im pretty well convinced it cant be done, with any saw..aint I stuburn'!

If I could see it done that might change my thinking!!

Gary

ripchief

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:23:58 am »
Look at this link:

http://www.scrollsaws.com/

- Click on videos
- Scroll down to miscellaneous
- The first video in that list shows top and bottom feeding.

northie66

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 04:40:04 pm »
I have a Dewalt and I bottom feed.  I was never shown how to scroll saw... that's just the way I naturally went to do it.

Firedkm

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:39:25 pm »
I top feed all the time. You get use to the feel when clamping the lower blade assembly. It does take getting used to but once you get the hang of it, you wont go back!

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:10:59 am »
I am a bottom feeder.  That doesn't really sound right :)  While it is sure easier to find the hole from the top.  I like to look at how I have the blade secured in the holder.

Barry

Curt

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 01:49:51 pm »
Since I got my Excalibur 21 I am a top feeder.  Would never want to go back to bottom feed

MamaMagushka

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 02:18:09 pm »
I've never sawed on any machine other than my Excalibur ... so I am a top feeder.  Watching others feed from the bottom on their saws, looks just plain awkward!

MikieD

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 02:53:48 pm »
I have to admit I am a top feeder as well.  It just made sense to me to lift the top arm on my Dewalt and slowly drop the blade end into a hole on a piece of wood that is lying flat on the table.  Locking the blade in on the underside of the table is easy after a little practice and I never look under the table to perform this function.

chips

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 04:25:38 pm »
 An interesting concept. I've always been a bottom feeder and think it would be very difficult to top feed with my Delta P20. With the Delta I can free the blade put it thru the next hole, fix the blade in and be cutting in around 10 seconds or less. I'd hate to think how long it would take top feeding.

Dawie

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 05:07:30 pm »
Hi I am a top feeder. Makes live a lot easier when doing fretwork. Nobody thaugt me, the thought just came up some day and I tried it and it worked. I use a proxxon and the blade is held nice an secure at the bottem and at the top there is a flywheel to losen and fasten the blade.
David

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 08:53:43 pm »
On the DeWalt there is a bar in front of the lower blade clamp. It is there to protect you fingers from the blade clamp if it is running. If you remove this guard you have better access to it.
Its so easy to just let the upper arm drop the blade into the hole, then reach down and tighten down the blade clamp. I do this without looking under the table as it becomes second nature to do!
Yes, I am a top feeder!
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi