Author Topic: Wooden Bowls Scroll Saw Book  (Read 1453 times)

northie66

Wooden Bowls Scroll Saw Book
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:16:47 pm »

Becky

Re: Wooden Bowls Scroll Saw Book
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:21:45 pm »
I bought it.  I've made two bowls - both just from pine as I didn't know how they'd go.  They came out surprisingly well.  I've only been scrolling since December so am far from expert.  I plan to venture on to one made of cherry or walnut sometime in the near future.  I think it will look nice.

She does a good job of explaining what you need and she also has a number of youtube videos so you can see her do at least some of the stuff.  The book presents a pretty wide variety of ideas.  She spends a lot of the book on laminations.  Maybe I'll get to that one day.  I don't equipment like a table saw and, while she says she cuts all her pieces on the scroll saw, I don't think my pieces would fit together as nicely as hers do (yet!).

The really great thing about the book, IMO, is that she explains how it all works so you can create your own bowl patterns.  Her basic bowl, for example, is nice enough for display but it is small.  I could make a bigger one just using inkscape or something or I could make something in a slightly different shape.  She shows you how to calculate the right table angles so you can be sure the pieces will fit together.

So I am not up to the level where I can take full advantage of all her patterns but I don't regret buying the book a bit.  I figure I will eventually grow into what I can't do now and, in the meantime, I can make some pretty decent - if less fancy - bowls.

northie66

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:31:10 am »
Thanks Becky!!!

Dragonlord85

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:32:58 pm »
I just recently bought this book and have completed two of the bowls. Some of them are more compliocated than others but they do turn out very nice and do not take too long to make.

chips

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 04:33:46 pm »
  I bought the book when it first came out and have three bowls under my belt. As mentioned you can do a simple bowl out of one kind of wood or you can get into piecing different types together in a pattern she shows you how to do and them cut the bowl out. The different lamination's are what lead to the difficulty in making them. The actual cutting and gluing the layers together are all the same no matter how complicated the pattern might be. As you might be able to tell from the cover of the book you start out with a flat board and cut out rings within rings, at an angle, (provided) which are then stacked and glued together. Then you sand the sides down to a smooth finish and finish. Bowls can be made round (which most patterns are), oblong, square, and having fluted side/edges. You can also make vases.

A table saw would be nice to have when you get into the laminating pieces together, but as mentioned in another post Carole cuts the pieces out on the scroll saw. You will probably need a belt sander to even the cut out pieces so as to have an invisible glue line. (not needed if your only using one type wood) Probably the most important thing you need is a way to sand the sides down after the glue-up. I use a drum sander that I can mount in a drill press at the prescribed angle.

If after making a few bowls you think you'd really like to get into it there are all kinds of power equipment you can buy. But to start all you need is a hand drill, scroll saw, and some way to sand the sides down. You CAN do the sanding by hand but that's a chore not for the faint of heart.

jowshu98

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 11:43:04 pm »
I have the book and one bowl under my belt. As others have said very easy to do with the right equipment. I purchased the flexible sanding pad as well as the inflatible sander. I also purchased a spindle sander for my drill press to sand the inside and outside of the bowls. I am on hold on making more bowls solely because I do not have adequate dust collection in my shop at this time and making these really makes the dust fly. Everything and I mean everything has a fine layer of dust in my shop. I wore my mask, ran my shop vac, and my box fan with filter (cleaned it off about 4 -5 times with the vac) so I could only imagine how much worse it would be without doing that. Outside of that, I can't wait to make my next one, they are fun and easy to make.

Don

BudWilson

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 09:46:52 pm »
I love the book.  Well written and the instructions seem to be well thought out.  I plan on making some of the easier bowls, to start out.  Her videos on youtube are helpful and interesting!

chief

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 12:16:38 am »
Do a search on googlebooks and you can see part of the book, kinda like a preview.  She also has some videos on youtube if you search for "wooden bowls on scrollsaw".

SMF

Teknoromi