Author Topic: The kitten project...  (Read 1656 times)

stipes

The kitten project...
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:37:46 pm »
First I want to appoligise for how long it's been since I posted.I had 2 days off since July the 4th with my work, on top of doing home chores and finding time for my scroll saw..The update on the 18 inch Craftsman saw I got...
    3 weeks ago I was finishing about 6 inches of my last cut and wham,,,a loud noise and the saw just locked up...The shoulder bolt that held the bottom linkage and the counter ballance backed out and hung up,,broken the linkage,,and bent the bolt..I called sears and order the parts finally came in and I cant say anything bad cause they sent parts asap..Back ordered...Thats was weird cause every scew had locktite on it but I was wondering to myself how it backed out...I'm just wondering if it wasnt torqued down from the factory....Anyways,,,got it back together last week and it's got alot less vibration than it did new..
    For a cheepie saw just to see if I would enjoy scroll sawing,,well,,now I'm lookin into a higher grade saw cause this has been so much fun....Now to the kitten project...
    I went to the local Hastings book store and bought a scroll saw book and just wanted to try something really hard to see how I and the little Craftsman saw can do....Oh,,,boy,,,I have learned alot and still have so much to learn....I found out the set up so far instead of the cuts are what is takin my time ...Blade tension is a must on this saw,,cause the tighter the better....I been using Bosh blades and seem like they are holding up really great,,,I just dont seem to get alot of run time tru em cutting 3/4 inch popular wood...
    Well I'll post on the gallery of the Kitten and I know it's not prerfect,,but my first try at this.....Thank you all for posting tips and enjoy everyones work so much!!!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: The kitten project...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:53:18 pm »
Check the comment I left in the gallery...

Nice Work!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Mainewoods

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:54:54 pm »
Geez!! If you're cuttin' circles that well right off the bat, you're gonna be showing us all up very soon!!  Nice job!

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 03:02:46 pm »
It looks like you did a pretty good job to me.
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »
Geez!! If you're cuttin' circles that well right off the bat, you're gonna be showing us all up very soon!!  Nice job!

I couldn't agree more, excellent first project!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:55:47 pm »
wow great job for a first timer

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 02:18:18 am »
How did you learn to cut circles like that??????????????????  :'(

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Chachi

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 02:45:11 am »
I Could be wrong but I don't think he cut the circle I think it was a preformed you can buy them at Hobby Lobby here, However he did do a good good on the Kitten Pattern though.

SheGold

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 05:01:13 am »
Great first project... Keep the saw dust flying can't wait to see the next project... Sheila in Tx

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 10:05:16 am »
OK Stipes, You need to take some time off from work. All work and no play makes Stipes a dull boy!
Your first project came out beautifully! You should be proud!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:20:11 pm »
great kitten! awesome job!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

stipes

Thank you all...
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:12 pm »
I really enjoyed makin that and thank you all for the kind words...If I can get at least half as good as you all I will be so pleased.....
     A few questions was asked where I learned to cut circles like that....Well I worked with metal all my life,,,tool and die and thats what got me so stressed out first time I tryed woodworkin,,I was wanting everything perfect,,and it's not a perfect world like workin with metals,,temp. humidity,,how the wood was cut and shrinking,,expanding,,warpage,,,ect..Maybe I'm too picky..To me I just followed the pattern and took my time,,and folks it's alot faster than cuttin tru a piece of d2 die steel..LOL!!!
      I dont buy my wood, I mill my own and that makes things more special to me...In my eyes there isnt anything more special to take a tree that is dieing or dead and make something that can last generations on down from it..
     I'm at a crossroad now....I enjoy woodworking,, and made alot of furniture,,but seems like I been enjoyin the scroll saw more when I get home from work....I can have a bad night at work and open the shop up and sit down and turn on the radio and just relax till I get sleepy....Have anyone else just find themselves going away from the big projects of woodworkin and enjoyin workin on a scroll saw more??
      Thank you all again,and as I said,,,I'm sorry I dont get on alot to post....Take care all......

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 03:57:13 pm »
Stipes,
I know what you mean.  I enjoy undertaking the large & complex projects sometimes, but it's also great to be able to go out to the scroll saw and complete a project in an evening.  Great feelings of gratification!  I also find that I incorporate scrollsaw work into my other projects now as well.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 09:28:41 am »
Reference the part  "looking into a higher grade saw".  Got a flyer yesterday from Rockler and they have the DeWalt on sale now.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 09:18:53 am »
It's easy to get lost in the shop.  I make furniture when I have an order or need something but the hours fly by when I am at the scrollsaw.  I can get so involved that I barely notice how long I have been out there.  It relaxes me.

SMF

Teknoromi