Author Topic: To Grampa Brit sports cars  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
To Grampa Brit sports cars
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:30:17 am »
Paul I've always loved the older British sports cars with their flowing lines. The Morgans, MG's, Austin Healeys, Jag's even the Triumphs.
After getting out of the Navy had an MGA Coupe, that putrid pale green, but what a blast to drive. Not much fun on a date though. Transmission tunnel got in the way!  ;D
Much later got a MGB roadster, but it was worn out. Only car I ever sold that I made money on.  ::)
Just rambling Paul, this isn't a request just a stroll down memory lane.
Y'all chime in if you want.
G'night y'all,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

grampa

Re: To Grampa Brit sports cars
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:14:59 am »
Funny you should say that Gabby, when i was looking at mga,s i could have sworn it was you behind the wheel ;D

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 10:47:11 am »
In the past, I have owned both an MG Midget and an Austin Healey Sprite (basically one and the same) They were fun to drive on sunny days but, if a cloud showed up it was all over. They had Lucas ignition systems and the dampness would drown them out. I understand that Lucas also makes refrigerators and that is why the British drink warm beer.   ;D  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:00:57 am »
I've owned a TR6 and my wife had an MG Midget.  Lucas's motto was reputed to be "Don't go out after dark".
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 01:14:41 pm »
That's great Paul, only problem is it was a made for USA car with the driver on the left. I loved that little car and now they are collectible, as I understand it they only made about 3500 of them and are priced accordingly. The fastback MGB was another limited production car.

Rog,
The Sprite and Midget were "cute" but very impractical. For a large person they were nearly impossible to drive with such a small cockpit. Made for little people which is why there weren't that many in the states.

Bill I never got to drive a Triumph, they seemed to pull more money for some reason and were out of my reach. Looked good though.
With the option of the 6 cylinder engine they would move out is my understanding.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:42:15 pm »
Rog,
The Sprite and Midget were "cute" but very impractical. For a large person they were nearly impossible to drive with such a small cockpit. Made for little people which is why there weren't that many in the states.

Gabby

Gabby,
I resemble that remark and represent your altitude!
At that time, I was 6 foot tall and weighed 150 pounds. I drove the Midget to work and back for a year and a half.
I also replaced a rear axle three times.
They were very cozy on dates in the winter time too!
I carried a can of WD40 to dry out the distributor in case we saw a mud puddle.
My new wife decided that a Midget was not a married mans car and I sold it. (first gear was out of it and the tire was going flat while I was talking to the new car salesman)

Three years later my wife found the Sprite that didn't run and decided that the little cars were a lot of fun. We paid $100.00 for it and I re-built it from the frame up. I did the engine and tranny in the basement over the winter.
We enjoyed Sunday afternoon drives with our baby girl (she is 38 now) in the jump seat .
Although I painted it orange, it soon became a "White elephant " sitting in the garage most of the time and I sold that one too.
Kinda miss those days.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

daneklund

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 11:38:01 pm »
Loved those British cars and still do.  Had a 61 "Bugeye" Sprite while in college and first married.  We drove it half way across the country.  Fun little car.  Now have a Jaguar S-Type and like that too.  Great road car and get over 30 mpg at 75mph on the road.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 11:51:05 pm »
Ain't nostalgia fun?!
Hell when you're in my condition, outside of a little Pool and Scrolling what else is there?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi