Author Topic: New Topic on Selling OUR products....Need Suggestions.... :+}  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
New Topic on Selling OUR products....Need Suggestions.... :+}
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:25:14 pm »
Well its close to MY annual November Craft Fair thing and altho I have many, many different things my mind goes back to LAST YEAR and the PUBLIC just did not have the BUCKS to buy....  Anyway that's the way (I see it)
Is it going to be BETTER this year?  (HOPE SO)....  Anyway My Question goes out to all the ones that do the Craft Shows pretty regularly.  Lets take Christmas ornaments (any type)  Easy to cut a STACK of SIX.  That's really quite A LOT over-all in a short time frame.  All I can think of to do with the fancy stuff is stain/varnish (to not have to take a lot of time) and I was thinking of selling them REAL CHEAP.  Like a buck a piece. 

CAN ANY OR YAS OFFER ME BITS N PIECES OF YOUR EXPERIENCE? 

These craft shows are ONLY a way to get a lil ahead for all the time spent.

Any feed back would be GREATLY Appreacieated....  Tks....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
Re: New Topic on Selling OUR products....Need Suggestions.... :+}
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:48:41 pm »
I don't do any craft shows but I have sold more ornaments than anything so far. I stack cut 4 at a time and stain and clear coat them and they sell for 2-4 bucks each. I lose on the bigger ones but it evens out on the smaller ones. I usually give away a few of the smaller ones to anyone that buys 10 or more. It has worked out pretty good for me. I'm not getting rich but it pays for my supplies. Mike

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:40:44 pm »
Selling your product is always a hard one Danny, I've been in sales all my life and although people don't have money they do spend but are more selective and looking for a bargain, so price is a big thing but don't give it away and remember you are a manufacturing wholesaler and this is the way you have to think, there are too many hobbyists who think they can get retail for their wares and only pay a fraction for rent [fair site or table money] keep this in mind when pricing.
the other thing have a big variety and lay your table out well set up at home and take photos and see what it looks like, and of course the big thing as well is to be friendly towards your customers and try and engage them in conversation, like what a lovely day or what ever and generally they will respond [DID you make all this how clever]
Have a go and dont be shy
Cheers
Jimbo 

frankm

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:40:37 am »
Hi here is a tip that I got from a phycologist who was selling at a craft show in Monterey Cal. Here's the quote, " You gotta appeal to the women," for example , if a couple stops to see your stuff, watch them. If the man picks up a piece and his lady is not interested, that item will not sell to them. However if a couple stops by and the lady sees something and say something like "this is cute" watch and remember the items that the ladies like. Often the ladies' man will buy it for her. I wish you success.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 01:21:49 am »
Selling your ornaments..."Cheap"  Is the wrong tactic.  You not only give the impression your product is devalued/cheap you also devalue the rest of our work.  If your audience is not purchasing what you have for sale do not lower the price, change your product.  Keep your ornaments at a reasonable price, don't display 6 of a single ornament at a time this gives the impression they are bulk items, display 6 different ornaments & bring out fresh stock when current stock sells.  Have a wider variety of items and price points.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 02:44:57 am »
Do you want to sell it or keep it, think about it
Jimbo

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:15:04 am »
I give Thanks to Everyone for your pointers....  Guess my thoughts go back to last year November show.  Had 125 round to different shaped ornaments with various designs inside.  All 1/8 BB.  I had approx. 50 from the previous year where I was pricing at $3.00.  They did not sell very well.  Last year I put a sign out at $1.00 each and sold everyone of them before the first day got over.  So back to my original post.  They are FAST to cut and finish, so I feel that a buck apiece is fair.  How ya'll feel bout this?  Danny  :+}

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 11:43:15 am »
OK, now you have some out there and a good start. Now raise the price to $1.25 this time. If sales are still up there, raise the price to $1.50 next time. When the sales start to drop, hold the price at that price point.
There is no reason that you should spend time and money doing something for no return. It even costs money for the gas to go to the venue and the time you spend sitting and talking to people not to mention the materials and time you spend cutting (even if it is fun).
People do not apreciate something for nothing despite what they say. That is why we have cheap tools and expensive tools. We know what the tool is worth and your customers need to know what your talent is worth too.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:10:30 pm »
Hey Danny, One thing to consider is Baltic birch ornaments are not very attractive. Try using thin hardwoods. A nice hardwood like cherry, walnut, mahogany or maple are much more attractive than just plain old BB. Last year I sold most of my ornaments at a range from $4 to $15 depending on size and complexity. All hardwoods. I had a few that were BB, and did not sell any.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 07:26:14 pm »
Howdy Dan....You have brought NEW hope into my next craft Show....
I am REALLY NEW as of a few months ago of ordering Scroll wood and just got into the BB mostly.  You are 100% right about the BB just not having the ability of making a craft look GOOD.  Never good to me except maybe the portraits.  Where do you buy your 1/8 material like what you mentioned?
The only place I have used is Sloan.  They are ok.  Anyway I can really see the Cherry or Walnut etc. being about to get a shine.  Cool....  Danny  :+}

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:42:15 pm »
Well Danny, I resaw and plane most of my thin woods from thicker boards. You should be able to find thin woods from sites like www.ocoochhardwoods.com. I don't know if they have 1/8" woods though. Do a web search for thin woods.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:54 pm »
Check the ads in the Scrolling Magazines...several sources listed!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Genofromny

• View Profile
    • Adirondack-Scrollsawer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 10:03:21 am »
I am not claiming to be anexpert, my wife and I started doing craft shows about 4 years ago truely by accident.  We cut ornaments out of 1/4 birch and oak plywood mostly purchased from lowes.  we do about 8 shows a year and make enough to pay for our christmas and then some.  We sell our ornaments for 4.00 a pieice and normally do very well.

isteve

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 08:00:23 pm »
I'm not a scroller...yet but I do visit craft fairs and the like here in the UK and I never buy from people with an attitude. Their stock may be great but if they have an air of superiority about them we walk past to the next table, its as if they are angry at people not buying their products.

Of course not all stall holders are hostile but it does amaze me as a potential customer why any are !

Also when sellers jump up from their seat to watch you as you pick up something to examine as if your going to run off with it, I can understand it but still its very annoying. Again attitude.

Haggling is getting quite popular now here and its fun to interact with sellers to bring the price down. Or if not at least we can have a laugh about my attempts at it.

Sometimes sellers offer BOGOF buy one get one free.

Like most things in life,attitude is important. So from a customers point of view seeing a friendly face behind the counter can only be inviting.

Now...if/when I start scrolling I may get a completely different perspective...LOL I hope I don't turn out to be Mr Angry!!!!

SMF

Teknoromi