Author Topic: Randome thoughts, Too old to scroll?  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Randome thoughts, Too old to scroll?
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:31:12 am »
I was thinking, yup it was hard!  ;D

Several have expressed concerns about age being a restriction to scrolling.
I'm sure the majority of scrollers are at least middle age or senior citizens, both genders too.
Yes I know there are exceptions.

This is perhaps because it doesn't take brawn to make something beautiful or useful or both! As long as you can sit or stand in front of one of these machines and have some dexterity in your hands and decent eyesight at least with a magnifier. You can scroll!
So get a saw and make some sawdust and designer fire wood it's good for you, keeps you out of the bars too! Spending all your money on wood and tools will see to that!
Scroll on!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
Re: Randome thoughts, Too old to scroll?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:35:16 am »
Definitely agree with the probability that most scrollers are older than young.  Some of this could be due to now being able to take time to focus on something, even though it doesn't necessarily make us money, or take care of the kids...  We can now appreciate the jo, and stress relieft, of being fully mentally involved in creating something because we want to - distractions aren't welcome.  As far as keeping us out of the bars (or mischief in general) - it has been very helpful to me over the years.  Plus, you get to meet all kinds of new people. 
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:21:46 am »
I don't think you ever get to old to do anything as long as your health doesn't get in the way. My mind keeps telling me I am a young man, but my body reminds me I am not.  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:33:21 am »
I also find that my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, therefore I don't see as many errors! ::)
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:53:31 am »
I'm almost 69, needed glasses to read for over 30 yrs, had 2 heart surgeries.  Not making any money but still scrolling almost every day.  Cut 3 sets of ornaments yesterday and will keep scrolling as long as my health allows.  It's relaxing.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:40:07 am »
 I've been retired for 5 years now, and glad I have a  scrolling hobby, and the wife is too. Can't sit and watch TV all day, therefore I spend most of my time in the shop. I learned to keep busy and enjoy my self, when I'am not in the shop I baby sit my grandson, and still bowl three days a week, and attend senior club once a week. The body is showing some signs of age but the mind is still there, I do agree with  what the rest of the people say. Also I still do  around 10 craft shows durning the year, don't make much, but help buys supplies. Scrolling is relaxing for me along with enjoyment.  Edward

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:32:19 am »
As we start getting older, it is important to stay active and keep your mind busy. Woodworking and scrolling sure accomplishes this for me. My mind is fading, but my body stays active!
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »
Looking around here sometimes I feel too young to scroll...I think it is a wonderful hobby for people of all ages!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:39:37 pm »
Ditto to most of the above...I started at 69!

Was not looking to make money but just do something with these hands that have been fixing and making things more years than I sometimes care to remember.
I found the perfect outlet for me!
Between scrolling and volunteering I keep mind and body active within the limits set by health with no anxieties...

If others enjoy my works that is a great bonus....

And again this year ... for Christmas, EVERYBODY gets WOOD!!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51:10 pm »
Isn't it great GB? I have been giving wooden gifts for years!
Dan In Southern California

LHayes

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:10 pm »
You know, I think I starte scrolling about 30 years ago and 20 years ago the wife and I started a animal sign business that we worked full time untill people ran out of money to purchase.  I am in my shop every day either working at the scrollsaw or bandsaw (having fun making bandsaw boxes right now) and am really enjoying myself.  I am retired, and thanks to woodworking, I will always have something to keep me busy and out of my wifes hair     ;D

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 05:40:11 pm »
Graybeard and I essentially share the same story.  Only real difference is that I started at 74, having sold my boat when my legs failed and needed something to do to keep my sanity.  It was a wood Christmas for all of my family last year also, and now I make things for charity auctions, gifts, etc.  Love it!

And Katie, no one is too young nor too old.  You share a great deal and teach future generations of scrollers.  That's a lot.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

SheGold

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 05:47:30 pm »
Well I'm only 57 but my health restricts what I do.. With my home and hubby and my Sunday school class I teach, I needed something to keep my hands busy. I've always crafted in some sort or another. Such as I sew, crochet, knit, cross stitch, embroidery, paint, am a published poet, I cook clean and enjoy my grand kids and kids (at times).. I have a full life, but I enjoy my scroll saw the most. I can get away from everything when I am sawing or I can take time to pray as I saw or I listen to the Bible while I work.. This is one hobby I will do until I can't get across the yard to the shop... Just my thoughts... Sheila in Tx

Offline skip

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 06:16:50 pm »
im 67 yrs old  been scrolling for about 15 yrs  i enjoy it   not to make money  just like cutting wood 

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:06:17 pm »
I relate to something LHayes said, "Keeps me busy and out of my wife's hair" I told my wife that I was going to retire, at the early age of 57, because I wanted to enjoy life and do something I wanted, instead of the Eight to Five routine every day. (My father had a heart attack and passed away when he was only Sixty-Four and had just started thinking about retirement).  When I told her about retiring I think she started to worry about having me home, underfoot, everyday and even though I had all kinds of hobbies she is the one that talked me into purchasing a Hegner Scrollsaw at the 1990 LA Co. Fair, thinking Scrolling was something I would really enjoy and keep me out of her hair.  And she has been proven right; It has been the one thing I still love.  I?m now Seventy-Eight and enjoy it every time I walk into the shop.  It sure beats working!!!!!!

My youngest Grandson asked me the other day if I'd help him make a Bass Guitar, I told him I'd never attempted one but I guess I wasn't too old to learn, I hope.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

SMF

Teknoromi