Author Topic: Do you use a magnifier/light combo?  (Read 6833 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Do you use a magnifier/light combo?
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:13:52 am »
I have an old one with a standard incandescent lamp and a 3X magnifier and would like to upgrade to a fluorescent or even better to a CFL!
Best place to purchase economically?

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use a magnifier/light combo?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:23:39 am »
Yes I do and would not be without it. Mine is a 22 watt fluorescent lamp that includes a 1.75x magnifying lens.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Rightarm

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 02:09:43 pm »
 I use the same thing Russ uses, along with reading glasses. Couldn't scoll without them. Dave 8).

chips

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:25:16 pm »
 Yep! I do a lot of fretwork, puzzles, and other small items where the lines can run close together so need some kind of magnification. When I don't need that tho the added light on the work helps a lot too.

IIRC a regular bulb and 2x magnifier came with the Dremel I bought many years ago. With the new saw I had to go out and buy a florescent light and magnifier. Got mine at the local Menards, which might not e available in your neck of the woods. But I suspect Lowes or any other big store along that line would have them.

Joesawdust

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 02:36:22 pm »
Yep I use one too. I've got one of the older ones with an incandescent, but use a CFL in it, keeps it a lot cooler. Harbor freight usually has one of the round flourescent ones for around $35.

Greg

ripchief

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 02:39:09 pm »
I use the same one that Russ does, as well...One thing to point out is that Russ stated that his is 1.75 times magnifier...GrayBeard stated a 3 times magnifier...Be careful with these numbers...Some sources refer to the "times" when referencing the degree of magnification, while others use the diopter to reference magnification...Some retailers get these numbers confused...As a result, GrayBeard, and Russ might actually be using the same lens, but each of them are using a different numbering system to quantify the degree of magnification (Russ is possibly in power, while Graybeard might be in diopter)...These numbers also dictate the focal length that is needed; how close the lens has to be to the work piece.

I ran across a chart on the following website that explains all of this, while researching to buy mine (although I didn't buy this brand)...Note that the original size of the object needs to be added to the number in the power column, because the chart is only stating how much bigger the object appears than the original size (thus, Russ' 1.75 times):

http://www.dazor.com/lighted-magnifier.html

northie66

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 05:25:41 pm »
I guess this is yet another thing I need to buy  :P

Can you all post the kind you have if you like it and where you got it?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:28:51 pm by Janet »

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:23:51 pm »
I use one I purchase from Woodcraft. Wouldn't be without it, these old eyes need all the help they can get.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »
i use a combo also, but i dont use the magnifier, i just use the light. i do however have a jewelers magnifier visor which i prefer the best and would be lost without it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:55:54 am by MadHatter »

daneklund

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »
I too use a magnifier/circular flourescent  light.  I have a larger one lighting from the left side of my Eclipse machine and then I purchased the small magnifier/LED combo unit from Rockler that I put in front of the blade.  The Eclipse machine has a built in small halogen light that shines down on the work.  The front magnifier really helps in staying on the line.

Becky

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:26:32 pm »
I've been thinking about getting something like this.  I don't need the light but that line looks so darn small sometimes.  I'd also be interested in hearing what others have bought.  $35 isn't the end of the world but it is too much to spend on the wrong thing.  If I would be unhappy with something I paid $35 for and would be in heaven with something that cost $65, that info would be good to know.

ripchief

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 11:42:59 pm »
Here's the one that I use:

www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=3555&ss=e4a11b67-af20-44b2-ab9e-780f544ffb94

Initially, I picked up one from Staples for only about $15 less, but returned it the same day...For $15 more the one from Woodcraft is much better...The cheaper one was made of mostly plastic (thought it was going to snap every time I repositioned it), whereas the one from Woodcraft is mostly metal with only a small amount of plastic...Additionally, the one from Woodcraft has better optical quality (which in most cases is 50% of the purpose for getting/using one of these).

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 11:45:45 pm »
Yes, I have been using one for years. It uses an incandescent bulb but I have a cfl in it. Not as bright as a bulb but it stays cooler.
When I teach at Woodcraft I have to use my bifocal safety glasses, but I prefer the magnifier.
Dan In Southern California

Dragonlord85

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 11:46:18 pm »
I have a light mounted by my saw and I use a set of magnifier glasses. 3X I believe. I like the glasses over a magnifier lens since they move with me and do not get in the way of seeing around the saw.

EZgoing

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 12:41:05 am »
In my own case, I have 2 lights set up on my saw.. One is a magnifier and I can't get used to it at all..

I've installed 26 watt CFL's made by GE that are instant on and bright white light (not that orange tint with the standard CFL's).

IMO, well worth the investment..

No clue where the magnifier light came from (have had it for years) but the magnetic clamp light came from Peachtree.com on sale for $12.00.  Regular price is $17.00

http://www.ptreeusa.com/drillPress_Acc.htm

(scroll down to almost the bottom of the page..)

The magnet is very strong and the reflector is highly polished.. giving you plenty of light where needed. 

I just like using 2 lights as the area I use isn't really well lit and I get to create a shadow on one side of the blade or the other as needed.

Ez

SMF

Teknoromi