Author Topic: Political Comments  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Scroll42

• View Profile
Political Comments
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:50:17 am »
I really like this site and have learned a lot.  But I really don't like the political comments putting down various people.  I do not think that is appropriate and the truth is we do not all agree and we may learn later on we were totally wrong, either way.  Why do those comments have to be made?
John

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Political Comments
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:40:42 pm »
Hi John, I understand your concern. Today's political environment is certainly lively. We do monitor the forum for inappropriate comments. I do want to keep the Community Forum a family safe place. What I don't want to do is make this place sterile. I have seen that happen on larger forums where the admins ban everything that anyone might consider inappropriate. That is a never ending battle that ends up not making anyone happy.

I'm not going to try to moderate lite political comments. If a thread gets out of hand I'll shut it down. I prefer people keep their off topic comments in the Coffee Shop Forum. In the end I am a dictator when it comes to my forum. If someone won't play nice I'll just give them the boot. With the exception of several spammers I have not had to do that yet.

Your comment is exactly the way I like to see these things handled. You asked politely for other members to use good judgement in their comments. The community moderates itself.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:01:49 pm »
I like to think that if we keep things civil, All will be fine. Everyone has their own opinions and nothing is going to change that, but it always seems that when an opinion is given, someone will get offended.
In the scroll saw world, each of of us has their own way of doing things. We share and offer these as suggestions, and expect that the reader will choose what works for them. When it comes to politics, everyone is set in their own way. If someone makes a comment or tells a joke about this guy or gal, someone is going to get offended, so why do it? All I ask is keep it civil.
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:59:50 pm »
You need to have different points of view for a political discussion. That's something not happening here.

A lot of you Americans are shocked by the current discussions in your country and the financial problems leading into direct impact on your lives. I can see this on lots of facebook comments and here.

Chachi

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:58:37 pm »
Well Tosten we worry because this country has already been down that road once before so we already know what would happen if it went that way again only this time will be alot worse.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:09:17 am »
Thank you Steve!

You are unbeatable as a host!

PC police are getting out of hand through out this country. All they have to do to shut people's conversations down is complain loud and long enough to get it banned. Soon no one will feel free to express themselves. That truly brings about loss of our freedoms. We've had some lively discussions but I think we are all still friends. I know I hold no animosity toward anyone who's disagreed with my points of view. I think we remain a healthy country as long as we are able to express our views!
My nickles worth,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Chachi

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:53:56 am »
I would just like to say there are 2 different parties that run this country so you will half the people backing them and the other half backing the other party now I don't think what was said was all that wrong and I'm guess neither did Steve because he read it and it is still there.
  So in the end it wasn't as bad as someone though it should have been but I am sorry, I don't own this forum nor am I a mod but I would have to say that if you found that comment Offending to you then maybe we are not the right place for you and we sure would hate to see you go but I have a feeling if that lil comment upset you then alot of the things were going to be putting alot of things you may or may not like here. but there are more Steril forums out there they you may find alot more to your likeing so if you would like to leave it was nice talking to you but I understand why you had to go....
  THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:32:03 pm »
Hi John, as moderator of the forum I totally agree with every thing Steve has said. We have been on the same page since day one. I have experienced very few problems on the forum and it does seem to moderate itself because of all the wonderful people here.

We think of each other as a family here and as in any family sooner or later there becomes a disagreement. But because of the wonderful relationship in a family it always seems to work it's self out and we all go on. You can agree to disagree as we do from time to time.

I myself have not really liked a few posts here and there. But as long as they are lite comments, political or not and with a slight since of humor to me they are acceptable.

You are very new to the forum and I would hope you would not let one comment cause you to miss out on becoming a permanent member of our family and getting to know some of the best people in the whole wide world.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi