Author Topic: Bench sanders  (Read 1327 times)

jbsherrod

Bench sanders
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:39:29 pm »
Hello
I'm new at this scroll saw stuff, but I'm having great fun.  Right now, I'm trying my hand at a little of everything, but Intarsia really gets my interest.  I'm building my tool inventory from scratch, and was wondering what others have for bench sanders -  - - ??.  I bought an Excaliber from Seyco, and I'm using a hand held Dremel now.

It looks like the ultimate tool would have:
1.  slow variable speed - from 500 to 2000 rpm's, low vibration
2.  soft or inflatable sanding appliances - cup end, straight cylinder - large and small diameter, sanding mops, etc.
3.  option of rotary tool

Seyco is slow, but fixed speed, and Guinevere has pretty high RPM's.
I don't understand the Foredom specs - what can you put on the LEFT side?

Please tell me what YOU have, what you have "chucked up" most, and why your set-up is the best - or worst for you - and others.  All comments are appreciated.

JBS

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Re: Bench sanders
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:43:40 pm »
I sent you a personal message.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:07:52 pm »
Hey JBS. Welcome to the forum! I'm Dan from Southern California.
Al above is the most prolific Inrarsia artist on this forum! I'm sure he gave you great advice. For me, This is what I use: For the majority of shaping I use a 4"X9" inflatable drum sander. I mount it on my Delta mini Lathe. For final sanding I use a 150 grit and a 220 grit sanding mop. I also have a Delta B.O.S.S oscillating spindle sander, A 9" disk sander and a 1" belt sander. I also have a Dremel with the small sanding drums.
Feel free to come back often and ask questions!
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:16:39 am »
That's the trouble with Intarsia lots of sanding and wood dust, the reason I don't do much turning now
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:29:33 am »
That's the trouble with Intarsia lots of sanding and wood dust, the reason I don't do much turning now
Jimbo
Jimbo brings up a good topic. Dust collection. I do have a dust collector. I have collection points that hook up to my table saw, Band saw, router table, drill press, lathe and all the stationary sanders. I have an attachment at the work bench when I am sanding by hand. My random orbital sander is hooked up to a dedicated shop vac that comes on when I turn on the sander.
My oscillating spindle sander has its own dust collection built in.
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi