Author Topic: Ok question time  (Read 836 times)

Chachi

Ok question time
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:14:26 am »
For those of you Who have made the candle Lanterns I was wanting to try my hand at it However I don't know what backing to use I don't think it is real papper because that will catch an burn so what do you use?????

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Ok question time
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:00:01 am »
If you are talking about 'tea lights' then I use the little battery powered 'tea lights'....

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:53:51 am »
No Gb those Lanterns like Steves Pumkin faces there is a papper backing of sorts but even in the tea light lanterns there is some sort of a papper backing Between the light and the wood...

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:21:45 am »
Well if the candle is close to the backing I would opt for thin acrylic.

Available some places as thin as 1/16".

But even that will melt if too close to the candle.

Electric 'night light'???

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:04:45 pm »
Well See I have a pattern that I made from a picture and I want to make it into a "Night light" of sorts  for the wife Because it came from the Online RPG game we play Called World of Warcraft and she liked the Idea of me making it for her... However I have know Idea what to use as the backing to give it that shadowing affect... I will see if I can find a picture of one that I am talking about.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 01:08:48 pm »
Just post a couple views of the project itself...

~~~GB~~~

Chachi

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 01:25:58 pm »
I went and looked it up on Steve Pattern pages and he says to use the battery opt flickering candles so the papper doesn't catch fire so I guess I will just have to go that route She will just have to suffer lol. I was after the glowing affect is all but if that is what it will take I will buy those Thanks GB.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:03:28 pm »
some night lights don't get very hot, you could look for that type.

what are regular paper lamp shades made from?

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »
Paper has a general "Flash point" of 451?F. Hence the famous book, "Farenheit 451".
However I think what Chachi is concerned with is the proximity of the 'paper' to an 'open flame' which greatly increases the likelihood of the paper bursting into flame rather than slowly heating up and 'scorching'.
I think that a candle flame which is not affected by drafts or air currents, a la room drafts from A/C or Heating, ceiling fans, etc. could be easily place 1 1/2" from the flame and be relatively safe.

Chachi...I bought a pad of "Parchment" papers from either Michaels's or Joann's with about 50 sheets of various colors that I have used with the 'tealight candle holders' and it is translucent enough to allow the battery powered candle to at least show thru. Using a votive candl holder with a tealight candle in the bottom should work as well.

~~~GB~~~

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:24:50 pm by GrayBeard »

Chachi

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 04:38:26 pm »
Thank you GB that is what I wanted to know.... We are such a great family I love you Guys......No I'm not Drunk lol

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:49:06 am »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi