Author Topic: Spiral Blades...A TIP!  (Read 1662 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Spiral Blades...A TIP!
« on: July 31, 2011, 11:24:17 pm »
These are the tubes I use for storing my blades. When I get the blades I take them out and unwind the wire and place them with the 'label' into these nice bottles with screw caps.
Yesterday I was having all kinds of problems cutting 3/4" stack of BB and the darn things (blades) just would not stay in the clamps.

Out of desperation I decided to 'clean the damn things' with alcohol. I did one and it stayed in the clamp just fine.
SO I then took the label out of the little bottle, poured in alcohol to about half way up the bottle, placed the cap on the bottle and shook it like an unused spray paint can for a full minute.

The alcohol turned almost BLACK from all the oil and residue on the blades. I carefully poured out the alky and dumped the blades out on a shop towel, spread them out and let them dry.

You would not believe how "sparkly and bright" they were and I have not had a single one slip since!

Those screw top tubes are fantastic for blades!

Available here: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/test-tubes

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Spiral Blades...A TIP!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:41:40 pm »
Nice tip GB. I only hope your blades don't rust now!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:31:38 am »
Dan...nice thing about those 'bottles' is they have a a screw top and the way I go through spirals they don't have time to rust!
This next week should tell the tale of any rust though...steady temps of 95? plus and humidity in the upper 70% range.

The biggest problem I have is my sweaty hands and arms dripping on the saw table and when I wipe it off the salt takes off the Johnson's. So every day when I quit I have to wipe down the table with MS and reapply the wax for the next day.
If I can find some company that will 'inexpensively' Teflon coat the table I will definitely consider it.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:14:59 am »
   GB i put formica on my table. works perfect no more rust. ive never waxed mine. my brothernlaw
 keeps his waxed.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:07:07 pm »
Quit wasting the alcohol GB!  Hold the blade in your mouth and then enjoy a couple of shots of bourbon.  2 birds, 1 stone.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:28:06 pm »
Quit wasting the alcohol GB!  Hold the blade in your mouth and then enjoy a couple of shots of bourbon.  2 birds, 1 stone.
OH man! That's got to rust your pipes!! LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:22:04 am »
I keep a small jar of thinner near by and dip both ends of the blade (any), wipe off, then rough up the end with a small rasp or sandpaper.
Pat B

ChuckD

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 12:24:09 am »
Along with your blades you don't want to forget to clean the oil, etc, from the clamps.  They get nasty too.

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 09:03:38 am »
I must be the lucky one.  I use FD blades and have never had any problem with oil on the blades or the blades slipping. 
Jim

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 09:57:07 am »
I must be the lucky one.  I use FD blades and have never had any problem with oil on the blades or the blades slipping. 
FD blades have oil on them too. The problem is with DeWalt saws. The blade clamps on the DeWalt saw are cow poop!
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi