Author Topic: Thin aluminum  (Read 826 times)

rochar3

Thin aluminum
« on: July 30, 2011, 12:16:47 pm »
Hey Everybody,

I travel in an Airstream trailer and I want to know if anybody knows where to get shiny Aluminum suitable to make Christmas ornaments in the shape of an Airstream.
Also, what do I need to know about special blades and technique etc.
As usual, thanks for your help.
Bob
Hawk G4

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Thin aluminum
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 01:09:57 pm »
Hey Bob, I'm sure you can get aluminum at metal supply shops. Look in the phone book. As far as cutting thin metals, It's always best to sandwich it between two sheets of plywood. I would use 1/8" Baltic birch plywood. This will help against snagging the metal on the blade. Use a skip tooth blade, not a reverse tooth blade. Probably a 0/2 or a #1.
Use masking tape or clear packing tape to stack the metal between the plywood. Then apply the pattern over the tape.
Let us know how it comes out!
Dan In Southern California

kennybruzda

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:16:32 pm »
Bob
I bought very thin aluminum, shinny 1 side from a scrap dealer in Reno Nv. You use metal cutting blades, you can get them from the Flying Dutchman. You need to sandwich then between 1/8" baltic birch, and when i cut them i always stack cut them. The Place in Reno is S & S metals and i know he has more of these sheets 12" x 24". I believe he would ship them to you, they were $1.00 per sheet when i bought them a couple of months ago. I hope this help, and if you need additional info you can contact me.

Kenny

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:50:44 pm »
I have now the aluminum blades.
Check Blades for Sale.
Mike

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 04:27:46 pm »
I have gotten thin metal in the roofing section of hardware stored. It is used for flashing. Not sure of the type of metals available, there are many choices.  I really reccoment sandwiching the metal between two pieces of wood, it helps cutting alot.

SMF

Teknoromi