Author Topic: Cutting coins  (Read 1799 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Cutting coins
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:18:34 am »
Not as hard as I thought it may have been, I made a jig to hold the coins [2 sizes] got some old blades that I had kept #2 I think and put them in and just started cutting, easy as
The reason I used old worn blades because the cutting is done on the upper part of the blade that has not been used, I broke 3 blades on 2 coins but the blades were worn so it did not matter
Jimbo

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting coins
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:30:31 am »
Do you have any idea what the coin metal is that you cut?
Photos to share?? How did you design your coin holders, Steve's design??
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:57:18 am »
I have never tried cutting coins. I am interested to.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:08 am »
I'm great a cutting corners, not coins
Jim

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »
Hi Gabby the metal in the silver coin I cut is mostly silver and the copper penny I'm not sure but they cut very easily, but you have to take it slowly to avoid over heating and keep the speed of the saw down as well
Jimbo

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:22 pm »
Hi Gabby the metal in the silver coin I cut is mostly silver and the copper penny I'm not sure but they cut very easily, but you have to take it slowly to avoid over heating and keep the speed of the saw down as well
Jimbo

Thanks for the pointers Jim, are you going to post any photos of the results?
Inquiring minds would like to know.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

cgswss

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:19:59 am »
On holding coins, I thought I?d try to describe what I use.  First I start with two small blocks of hard wood.  I use rock Maple because that?s what I have. In my case these are 4? X 2? and ?? thick.   Then stand these on side (so the 2 inch side is ?up?) and drill holes part way down near the outside edges.  I actually drill two times in the same hole, once with a small pilot drill (I use 3/32 just because I have a bunch of those that I never seem to use) the second time I drill with a larger drill only about ? down.  I use a 3/8 for this but again the size is not a big deal.

Now I take the two blocks and lay them so the holes are on the outside.  Basically I have the two blocks forming a 4X4 block with the holes on the sides.  I separate the two blocks with a thin spacer.  Again it?s not too important what you use, very thin wood world be good but I just use the cardboard from a cereal box.

I should do this with pics-and may if anyone ready wants them, but the best way I can describe it is that you the two 2X4 blocks separated by a thin piece of cardboard.  Now I screw the blocks together.  I just use drywall screws-again because that what I have on hand.  It is important that you keep the block flat when you screw them together so you end up with a 4X4 block that is flat on the top and bottom.  If while screwing in the screws the blocks moved slightly and you don?t have a flat top and bottom, lay it flat on some sandpaper and sand it flat.

Next you find a Forstner bit that is as close to the size of the coin as possible.  With the block laying flat drill into the exact center of the 4X4 to a depth of about 1/8 in.  Change the bit to something a little smaller.  Drop down AT LEASE 1/8 inch in size.  Drill another hole, this time all the way through.

Now if you have managed to figure out my instructions you should have a 4X4 block with a hole thru the center that has a small counter bore. Back out the screws and remove the spacer between the blocks.  To cut you coin, just put in the counter bored part of the holder and tighten the screws.  I put a piece of clear packing tape over it before cutting, but that is not to hold the coin, just because I think it cuts better that way (but you have to clean off the coin).  I use a very small rat tail file to remove the burr from the cut.

I hope someone understands what I just described.

Craig

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 12:26:25 pm »
Craig - we don't believe a single word until we see photos  ;) ;D

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 04:34:17 pm »
Here is Steve's tutorial video, scroll down the page to see it.
Gabby
http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2007/12/scroll-saw-coin-cutting-jig.html
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:05:44 pm »
Steve has a video and I used the jig he demonstrated making, it works just fine, I have made it so I can cut several sized coins
Jimbo

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 10:34:33 pm »
cgswss

I just realized I stepped all over your explanation.
I'm sorry I didn't think!
I was just trying to be helpful by providing Steve's link.
 :-[ :-[
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi