Author Topic: Cutting CD's.  (Read 1551 times)

shutterbugdm

Cutting CD's.
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:31:18 pm »
Has anyone tried to cut any CD's? I'm thinking of making some of the earrings in the jewelry patterns for my granddaughters and have read somewhere that CD's work. Too avoid breaking during cutting, what would be the best way to layer between a medium? Also, recommendation for a thin but durable wood?

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Cutting CD's.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:13:21 pm »
cds melt, so you need to have something between layers or you won't get them apart. I have used layers of thin ply, I have heard others use cardboard. You also need to be a little careful sanding, the film comes off easily.

as for thin wods to use for jewelry. 1/8" hard woods work really well. I have used maple, walunt, cherry, wenge, narra, purpleheart, teak and many more. It important to look at the grain direction of each piece of wood in relation to the design you want to cut.

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:58:53 am »
you'll want to glue 2 CD together to have both sides shiny.

After that - yes the cut on the CD melts and the CD will not come apart as a cut piece of wood.
But you can "break" it after cutting. and with a little sanding the edges become fine.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:53:07 am »
plastic melts when getting hot, so in the speed is real slow, does that make any difference?

I have a couple of shiny disk's from a hard-drive, does have anyone experience with cutting this (i think very hard metal)?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:16:16 am »
@ Marcel
I suggest not to use them as they are coated.

The Platter itself is usually aluminium or some magnesium mixture.
To prevent that from oxidation, it's often coated with glass or similar mixtures.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 03:48:37 am »
Ok, thanks.
didn't expect glas, they look more like chrome to me.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 02:14:36 am »
I've heard that you have to have the speed turned right down and not to use reverse tooth blades.  I have a stack I want to cut but have not gotten around to it jet, but I will try one day.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 08:33:23 am »
Somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of my 'memory bank' I seem to remember an article in one of the scrolling magazines all about this topic. I believe it must have been about 2.5 or 3 years ago.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 08:49:08 am »
GB is right - it was a holiday issue.  There was a nativity scene and some ornaments out of CDs.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:41:16 am »
Thanks Julie...maybe Holiday 2008...seems like it was SSWC issue.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

tux_linux

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 12:24:56 pm »
SWC 2009 is right.

I have cut polystyrol and other plastics. It's true that the cut melts. But it's simple to break the cut afterwards and with a smallest amount of sanding it becomes a nice one.
The look of a cut CD is quite special - you might want to check your home store for other plastics.

SMF

Teknoromi