Author Topic: Info. for Hegner Owners.... :+}  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Info. for Hegner Owners.... :+}
« on: July 25, 2011, 05:19:10 pm »
Some back I posted a Blade breakage problem using the FD blades.
Well I think I found the reason my Hegner was breaking blades.
The little pointed blade holder on the top (don't remember what the name of this part is ?)  It has a threaded hole on the right and left sides.  Might be made for use of either a right or left handed person. Don't know.  Anyway....
I'm right handed, so the lil allen screw on the left I think is a adjustment point.  After using the magnifing glass I could see that the allen screw was backed out leaving a inditation (small hole) Well when I tighted the blade as normal I think the screw pushed the blade a lil into the shallow part of the hole causing a lil bend in the blade.  ....Anyway....  After re-adjusting the left side and cutting a stack of 2 quarter inch BB for I wud guess around a HOUR the blade was still intact and Yea! Did not break.  Yea!  Anyway for the Hegner owners I would LOVE to hear your feedback.  Thanks....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SheGold

Re: Info. for Hegner Owners.... :+}
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:39:18 pm »
Not a Hegner owner but glad you got it figured out.. Sheila in Tx

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:39:39 pm »
Danny, I'm not sure it's only the Hegner that has that problem.  I recently bought a new Excalibur EX21 and after using it for a couple of weeks I noticed I was getting the famous "hockey stick" bend in my upper blades.  Finally figured out that the allen wrench set screw going in on the left side of the blade holder had loosened, leaving a hole inside.  When I tightened the upper blade clamp, it drove the saw blade into the hole, bending it.  I didn't have breakage, but sure messed up some blades.  
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:08:14 pm »
Hey Mr. Crabbyboater....Hey where did you get that name?  LOL
And I THANK YA'S for your reply and further reports of my adjustment is after cutting ....MOST ALL DAY....  I am still cutting with the same blade.  All I can feel and think is I am thankful for being a part of this forum.  Later....Danny:+}

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:10:46 pm »
That blade MUST be getting dull by NOW!

Change the darn thing! Mike needs the revenue!!!

Glad it is working for you!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 08:17:27 pm »
Hey Danny, It is a common problem with some saws. It certainly is with the DeWalt saw. To combat the problem of the set screw backing out apply a dab of blue loctite on the threads. The blue loctite will keep it from backing out, but will allow you to remove it if you needed to.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:00:12 pm »
 After Danny sent me a note describing what he found, I examined one of my blade clamps. it was one of the original clamps and took a lot of force to loosen the screw. It did have loctite around the treads from the factory, so I assume they all do. I tried a couple others but  didn't force loosing the screws, seeing as I wasn't having a blade breakage problem with them.  On the first clamp there was only about 1/4 of the screw that was shinny and had been touching the blade. I adjusted the screw a little and I'll check it again after I've used it a while.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 02:11:36 am »
nice! Had to be something like that.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:37 am »
Hey GB....  Ok I done put a new blade in, but the old one was still cutting fairly good, but I could tell it was dull.  Later....  Danny  :+}

TomC

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:34:56 am »
Nice to have to replace a blade because it's dull - huh?

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:49:55 pm »
Hey Mr. Crabbyboater....Hey where did you get that name?  LOL
Later....Danny:+}

Danny, I've had it for a long time.  Goes back to when I owned a boat and fished for crabs quite a bit.  I'm not really crabby! 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

SMF

Teknoromi