Author Topic: Dewalt 788 won't turn on  (Read 12880 times)

northie66

Re: Dewalt 788 won't turn on
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 06:54:16 pm »
It's really getting on my nerves.  The fuse box says to press but it doesn't do anything if I do.  I keep debating prying it open w/ a screwdriver.

Marshall

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 07:32:51 pm »
I don't think I could get the darn front of the fuse box open without breaking it!   But I guess it's worth a try... because if I don't fix it, it needs to go to the shop anyway.  I'll mess with it again after dinner and keep you posted.
As I remember Cherie mine was a pain to get it off also , as a matter a fact mine came out the same way yours did . But it will push back in , you can take a small screw driver and pop it open where you can see the fuse and pull it out ....try to be kind of gentle with it .....maybe this will aid you in some way ...........Marshall

northie66

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 09:54:55 pm »
My brother-in-law is coming tmrw. I'm hoping he'll be able to open the fuse box without destroying it.  We shall see.

Becky

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 10:42:16 pm »
I don't have any words of wisdom to offer but good luck!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:59 am »
Janet,
I played with mine tonight. There is a small slot on top of the black square fuse holder. Insert a small screwdriver and gently push down. The fuse holder will pop open and expose the fuse. now you can check the fuse.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:51 am »
Janet,
I sincerely apologize.  I should have said to unplug your saw prior to trying any repairs. I hope you were not injured.  I assumed you would have it unplugged.  My fault for assuming.

Insert a small screwdriver and gently push down. The fuse holder will pop open and expose the fuse.

This was why I mentioned the flat wrench that came with your saw.  It fits into that slot for the fuse holder.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

mouse

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 03:25:50 am »
Hi Janet,

When testing / checking any fuses,wiring or switches UNPLUG from mains socket first.

Test in this order and see if the saw runs after each test.

First unplug the saw and check the mains outlet by plugging in something you know works.

Test or replace the fuse in the mains plug, if it is not blown you will have a spare.

Test or replace the fuse in the saw, if it is not blown you will have a spare.

Check all wiring for loose or broken wires starting at the main plug and finishing at the motor

Check and clean the switch.

If the saw will still not run its time to consult a professional

Good luck
Mick

northie66

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 06:09:24 am »
Dunk - it's not your fault! That was common sense!

northie66

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 05:24:31 pm »
I FINALLY got the thing open and got the fuse out!  When it opened, kind of sprung open. Not sure why mine was so hard to open.

I just went to home depot and got the fuses. I'm running my kids around though so I won't be home for at least an hour.

The anticipation is KILLING ME!!!  :D

northie66

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 08:02:45 pm »
My saw works now!  Woohoo!  I think it's the switch though.  I mean, the fuse might have been blown originally, or it might have blown when I pulled it out and touched metal.  Cuz it WAS blown out.  But when I replaced it, it didn't come on right away.  I turned it off and on a few times and then it came on.  So instead of turning it off, I unplugged it... and I taped the switch to stay on.  Now all I need is my foot pedal!

Thank you all for all your help!  You guys and girls ROCK!   8) 8) 8)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 08:28:28 pm »

Glad you got it running!

Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 12:53:28 am »
If you don't have a compressor buy a can of compressed air at the local electronics place and blow out the switch before you tape over the switch in the on position.  Blow it out and click it back and forth and blow it out again.  When it turns on and off several times without failure then turn it on and then tape over the switch to keep dust out in the future.  Just trying to make sure you get it cleaned out before you tape over it.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Marshall

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 12:02:23 pm »
Janet I brought my fuses at a auto parts store , this is probably the cheaper place to buy .....

SMF

Teknoromi