Author Topic: Dewalt 788 won't turn on  (Read 12882 times)

northie66

Dewalt 788 won't turn on
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:24:11 am »
I turned it on... then off... then on a few seconds later.  It won't turn on at all.  Do you think it's the power switch or the fuse?  If it's the fuse, how do I replace it?

How am I going to make it through a Sunday with no sawdust?!

northie66

Re: Dewalt 788 won't turn on
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:26:07 am »
In my frantic search to find information about it via google, I came across this.

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/dewalt/DW788_TYPE_1

I'm going to keep this link handy... thought maybe others would want it also.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:02:51 am »
Did you find the fuse?  That is the first thing to check.  If the fuse is okay then use a compressor to blow the sawdust out of the switch.  Then buy that foot switch and place tape over the switch, it is the number 1 complaint about our ol yellers.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

northie66

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:19 am »
I see the little black plastic box where I think the fuse is. I don't know how to open it.  I also don't know how to tell a fuse is bad. Bplease enlighten me.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:17:12 am »
Your saw came with a small flat wrench.  You can also use a screw driver.  If the fuse is bad it will look burnt and the metal bar inside will be broken.  Try blowing out the switch first.  I'll almost bet that is the problem.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Dustyknees

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:32:10 am »
Hi Janet..The 788 has a push-to-release fuse cap..make sure it is in,otherwise take it off and check the fuse..As was said it could be sawdust,but mine used to come loose..Good luck on it..Jon

Dustyknees

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:35:36 am »
Hi again..a fuse has a thin wire running the inside length,if it appears broken or the fuse looks dark or burnt,replace it.Most hardware stores will have one..Jon

northie66

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:35:54 am »
OK... I think I made the situation worse.  I think it's a miracle I didn't get hurt.  But I pulled out the plastic thing - not paying attention to the fact that the saw was still plugged in.  Anyway, when I pulled it out, the metal where the red circle is must have touched metal where the blue circle is and there was a spark and a little smoke.

I guess I need to take it to a repair shop  :(

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 12:11:39 pm »
Yep!!!!! Once you let the smoke out of an electrical appliance, you can never get it back in!  ;D

ALWAYS UNPLUG ANYTHING ELECTRICAL BEFORE REPAIRING IT!!!!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

northie66

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »
Thanks for your help.  I can't believe I did that.  That could have been a disaster! 

Well i'm out of commission for a while.  Now I know why some of u have 2 saws!

garyinnevada

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 01:06:30 pm »
Janet dont give up! If you unplugged the saw you wont get hurt. Take the fuse out and go buy a new one. Do you have a footswitch? If your switch went bad it would be a good time to bybass it with a footswitch.
I really think you have a minor problem that you can fix. No sence paying a Tech 100 bucks and hr to do the same thing you can do.

Just my opinion!

Gary

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 01:53:59 pm »
Janet,
You pulled the whole fuse holder out! Chanches are the fuse blew when you had sparks. Unplug the saw. Push the holder back into the housing. Look at the front of fuse holder you will see an arrow pointing down. Use a small screwdriver to open the fuse holder and remove the fuse. If the fuse is blown, it will look burnt inside and the small filament will be broken. Replace with the correct amperage fuse.
Post back if that does not fix it.
Dan In Southern California

Marshall

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 03:39:48 pm »
Janet : Some food for thought I was told in another scrollsaw site to cover the switch up with some plastic and tape it up where dust can't get into the switch and too also start using the foot switch . I would go ahead and un-plug the saw and replace the fuse if it seems blown and re-plug it back up and try it again . I would do this before I put it in the Dewalt shop ..............Marshall

northie66

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 05:09:35 pm »
I don't think I could get the darn front of the fuse box open without breaking it!   But I guess it's worth a try... because if I don't fix it, it needs to go to the shop anyway.  I'll mess with it again after dinner and keep you posted.

cherie

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 06:41:47 pm »
If you were closer to me i would give you another saw, I have 4.  LOL.

SMF

Teknoromi