Author Topic: hardwood  (Read 1511 times)

blue ridge

hardwood
« on: July 13, 2011, 06:21:19 pm »
Steve where is a good place to get hardwood from? I used to get it from sloans, but where do you get yours

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: hardwood
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:53:34 pm »
Hi Blue Ridge, http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/ is an excellent choice. They sell scroll saw ready boards as well as lumber in the rough. The company was recently sold and I have not purchased from the new owners but I have not heard any bad reports either. I'll let others put their 2 cents in here also. I have a local source where I purchase my lumber so I have not purchased online recently.

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 03:44:52 am »
Hi "blue ridge"!

Where are you living? Tell us, there are wood workers everywhere. Most have a local source for wood.

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:23:41 am »
I used to get my wood from ocooch.  However the last two shipments pf 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 were all warped  to the point that when cutting I had watch out for the wood tilting.  Could not get a straight up and down cut. My 2cents
Jim

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:26:07 am »
I have also had 'issues' the Ocooch. So called 'clear' pwood with football patches on BOTH sides, bad knots and broken off corners on hardwood that was supposed to be top grade.

My nickel's worth.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:38:23 am »
I have had nothing but good luck with them! I just posted a tip in the Tips And Techniques page to help with warping mail order wood.
Dan In Southern California

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:18:46 am »
Wow, I'm suprised.  I have received nothing but excellent pieces from them.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:51:05 am »
I ordered a stack of wood from ocooch. I am very pleased with it. When I received the box, I opened it but left it wrapped in the shrink wrap for a couple weeks. I think it worked to let the wood conform to the humidity here in Florida, and the wrap held it all straight

SMF

Teknoromi