Author Topic: Dremel, who uses one and do you get lots of vibration?  (Read 5124 times)

shrimpmojo

Dremel, who uses one and do you get lots of vibration?
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:42:17 am »
I have dremel scroll saw and have been using one for about 1 year. Lately i've been getting lots of vibration. What could be causing this?

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
Re: Dremel, who uses one and do you get lots of vibration?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 01:25:53 am »
i have been using a dremel for about 3 years i think its a 1680 or something like that. i get some vibration but not too bad. i had to change the bearings below the lower blade holder and that helped some. i had a hard time finding the bearings without going thru dremel but i finally found them at grainger for about 4.00 each. i can get you their part number if needed. i have a dewalt also but i'm trying to wear out the dremel before i change to the dewalt. i was told that the 4 legged stand for the dremel causes vibration and that a 3 legged stand is better. Mike

cherie

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:28:26 am »
Do you have it bolted to a table?  I had a Dremel that vibrated real bad, so we made a table and bolted it.  Also could be your blade tension and many other things.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:21:49 pm »
I also have a dremel. It is hwat I used to get started. It vibrated alot. I've got my dewalt now and love it, but I couldn't part with the ole dremel. So I have it bolted to one bench and I keep it set up with scroll sanders. It's loud and vribrates, but it doesn't matter this way

chips

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:19:15 pm »
 A Dremel was my very first "real" scroll saw, and it does vibrate a bit on the metal stand I got to go along with it. I didn't think of it as a problem tho as I've done some very fine fretwork with it with no problems. As a possible first saw I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

shrimpmojo

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 06:21:53 pm »
No, i don't have it bolt down. It's locked down with C claps. I think the vabration is coming from the blade or the saw upper arm.

ripchief

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:06:05 am »
towdude3...That is correct; 3 legs are better than 4...Check out this link that explains why:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53267.html

I have a dremel 1680...I've read that the inline orientation of the motor is a major contributor to the excessive amount of vibration...Other (higher quality) saws, such as Dewalt, Excalibur, Hegner, etc, all have the motors mounted sideways instead, which is a more natural setup that uses a simple cam to make things happen...The inline configuration uses a cam as well, but also needs to use additional parts in the linkage in order to "twist" the direction of motion 90 degrees so it can make the arm go up and down.

Mounting a saw like the Dremel to a sturdy stand takes care of most of that vibration...Something else to look at is that the Dremel manual highly recommends (almost mandates) mounting the saw, whereas the Excalibur manual simply states that mounting is optional...The Dremel manual also talks about using padding between the saw and the stand...A lot of the manuals for the higher end saws don't even mention anything about needing to use padding...If/when you start looking for an upgrade, take a look at the various saw brands user manuals; they may give little hints like this that might help you make the best decision.

Rightarm

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 01:56:32 pm »
 I also have a Dremel #1671. What I did was cut the tread from an old treadmill we were getting rid of. And sit my saw on it. I don't have it bolted down, so I can move it out of the way when I need to. I also took a scrap of 2x4 and cut it at a 5 degree angle and bolted it to the rear of my saw. It worked for me. P.S. I also oil the bushings about once a month. Dave

SMF

Teknoromi