Author Topic: scroll saw stand  (Read 3512 times)

Dav

scroll saw stand
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »
does anyone have a pic of a nice stand that they are comfortable  with when sawing I need to build one for my saw sitts on a counter and I'm using a high stool and after back surgery last year its taking a toll on my back .  If nothing else send a pic to my email    dandblangfield@gmail.com

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: scroll saw stand
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 03:49:54 pm »
Hey Dave, Before I got my DeWalt I used a Dremel saw. I had it mounted on a stand I built from plans in WOOD magazine. It's pretty sturdy and you can build it at the height you need. I still have this stand. I have a 1" belt sander mounted on it now.
http://www.woodstore.net/supscrolstan.html
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:59:46 pm »
I think it would be helpful to figure out the chair/stool that you plan on using and then building the stand to the right height.
I am not sure of the right type of chair for scrolling with a bad back, maybe an office type chair with good support. Get the chair and then figure out where the table needs to be to keep you in good posture. Measure the saw to figure out what the stand height should be. Don't forget to allow for someplace for your feet to go, either room under the stand or maybe a footrest bar built in some place.

My bench is built for sitting on a 2' stool. I want a new stool, but will have to find one that works with the height or rebuild the bench.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:30:05 pm »
I sent you pictures of what I built for my saw.

Hope it gives you an idea.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:38:37 pm »
I sent you pictures of what I built for my saw.

Hope it gives you an idea.

Care to send me a copy, I have collected a bunch of sturdy material, and am looking for ideas too.
I've been thinking I want it wide enough to have a surface for hand tools and to clamp the magnifier light to. And a shelf below for a foot rest and ballast sand bags.
Thanks,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

alien11

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:00:30 am »
Get advise from your physical therapist or back doctor on what the best seating position is best for YOU. It'll save you a lot of grief playing around trying to adapt what works for somebody else.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »
Take a look at this ...http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=6416.0 if you haven't already.

Sturdy as heck and just right for sitting on an 'office' type chair or stool.
table height = 23 1/2"
Saw table height = 31 1/2"
These will both decrease by 1" when I put new rubber casters on it.
NOTE: the two front casters are of the 'locking" type so it stays in place.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dav

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:39:37 pm »
thanks to all for the ideas

calking

Re: scroll saw stand mods for 7880 Dewalt stand
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 11:45:31 am »
Hello All:   I just received a new 788 Dewalt Saw and the 7880 stand, after assembly it appears to be a stand that is suitable for standing and not sitting next to.   What are users doing to use it with a chair to make it more comfortable?  Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Cal

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 12:36:28 pm »
Hey Cal, I just use a bar stool when I am cutting on my DeWalt Saw. I actually rest both of my feet on the cross bar of the stand. Works for me.
Also I have the back leg raised so the table is tilted forward. It makes cutting more comfortable.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:38:55 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:18:36 pm »
Cal...take a look at this link...http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=6416.0

I then took an old stool, cut the legs so the seat is at 21" off the floor and it is very comfortable for me. The saw table is exactly at 'desktop' height, 29" off the floor.

I'm now going to pick up a used office chair with a pneumatic seat adjustment, remove the seat and put a 'boat seat' on it so I have a back support and an adjustable seat height with a roll around base.

My saw now has virtually ZERO vibration except at the max speed which I never use anyway.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 04:15:24 am »
Hey Cal!

get a bar chair. I use one too. I stand at the saw when I make rough cuts (preparing something) and sit down when it takes time. It's fine to have the choice.

calking

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 07:12:23 am »
Thanks for the replies, my donation to this site has already paid dividends.  I will be looking for a garage stool with a backrest, great job on the mobile stand Graybeard.

I have to say after trying a older Delta and a Canadian Tire Scrollsaw the difference with the Dewalt is like night and day.  If anyone is considering a Scrollsaw as a new purchase I would recommend the Dewalt 788 ( I have no Connection with Dewalt)..    New projects will be posted as soon as work slows down and I get time to work with the saw.

Thanks to Steve Good for making this the best Scroll Saw Community available on the Internet.

Cal

tux_linux

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 07:32:57 am »

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 01:35:13 am »
Calking
Check used furniture stores, flea markets, and thrift stores. I got one at a thrift store for 5 bucks, swivel seat with back and adjustable height wouldn't hurt if it had more padding but it's working for me. They are commonly called counter or bar stools. Good deals are available. Check Craig's list in your area too, some good deals can be found there.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi