Author Topic: fonts?  (Read 3328 times)

SheGold

fonts?
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:09:52 pm »
I'm curious about what fonts are good for scrolling. I know a bunch of our fine designers use some great fonts. Is there any chance I could get the name of a few.. Thanks for any help I get.. Sheila in Tx

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: fonts?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:52:33 am »
Sheila I wish I could give you the sites where they are available, there are tons of them for free download to your computer where they join those already in your font file.
Unless someone comes up with a bunch of names, do a simple search for Font Downloads, and you can add the word Free in front to help narrow the search, unless you can afford to buy them.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:04:00 am »
There are tons of fonts - what do you want to do?

For the picture patterns you'll need some font with open inserts. Try "Stencil Font Free" on Google and you'll find some dozen.

For desk accessories (table placed stuff) you can use nearly every font you'll find. I use - again - Open Office Draw for this.
Just add single letters and push them to a overlapping position to form the text. You can combine them and align them - absolutely simple.

SheGold

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:44:49 am »
OK Guys I have found plenty of free fonts, what I need is help on which ones work the best for scrolling.. Such as Torsten you did the God answers knee mail right? What font did you use? Not trying to be snippy.. I looked yesterday till I thought I was going to turn into a font.. :o .. Thanks Sheila in Tx

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:52:27 am »
That was a fairly simple one - Arial Rounded Bold. I think I set it serif in that one.

Try some letters on your pattern, you'll find a font that fits the design.
I suggest to try the simpler non-serif onces - they are more the common style for the moment.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:12:37 am »
When I'm making a sign using  Microsoft Word I use the font STEAMER  Has openings in the letters so the center dosn't fall out.

Tudine05

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:54:00 am »
Gday every1, could we meet in real life in some time?! Kidding surely :P - no seriously, this is certainly remarkable forum topic and I regret not discovering this destination before.

Chachi

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 09:06:18 am »
She the easiest way to find what fits you best is to go into Word or another program such as that and type what it is you want to say then find the font you think would be easy for you to cut yet looks good on the pattern. What I use alot of are the ones that are soild with no centers that can fall out suchy as Stencil if I come across one that I like but am unsure about the center I just go to paint and draw lines to hold the center in place (Kind of makes it look like stencil) So give that a shot.... Good luck to you

marmoh

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:47:44 am »
Sheila, every time fonts comes up I am hoping for a quick and easy solution.  Just go to all of the sites and download the font you want right ?? I can never seem to figure out how to get them to my computer.  I have Microsoft Works and most of the fonts mentioned are not there.  I can spend hours looking at the sites looking at fonts, all for not.  I need a "download fonts for dummies site" !!
Yes I have Open Office, Inkscape, Gimp etc. .... do I know how to work with fonts on those sites... NO.  Frustration seems to be the best way I can describe my attempts.  Maybe one day the light bulb will flash on and I will holler " stupid, look how easy that was" but to date it has not happened.
Marion

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 10:48:54 am »
I'll try to make up some instructions. May be later this day - depends on the kids and if I'm able to go to the wood shop or have to stay upstairs.

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 11:06:02 am »
I use the flat brush font on everything. You only have to change a couple of letters and they look good. Mike

SheGold

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:11:21 pm »
 :o Oh my goodness.. Marion you hit the nail on the head.. Confusion is my name.. Thanks to all that have helped.. Maybe I'll hook my old puter up and use my fonts there.. I used to do web sites.. Here's hoping... Sheila in Tx

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:20:13 pm »
Hey girls...I don't think MS WORKS will let you do as much with 'fonts' as MS WORD. Use the Open Office platform!

Then wait for instructions from Torsten,,,he will explain much better than I or i will try to interpret his 'GEEK SPEAK' for the assembled masses!

NOW off to the 98? garage for some stand building fun!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:59:17 pm »
Hey girls...I don't think MS WORKS will let you do as much with 'fonts' as MS WORD. Use the Open Office platform!

Then wait for instructions from Torsten,,,he will explain much better than I or i will try to interpret his 'GEEK SPEAK' for the assembled masses!

NOW off to the 98? garage for some stand building fun!

~~~GB~~~

GB how the heck do you get the degree symbol to print?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 06:16:36 pm »
To get the ?, you press the alt key and 0176.
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi