Author Topic: Does anyone sell their stuff on etsy?  (Read 2979 times)

northie66

Does anyone sell their stuff on etsy?
« on: May 01, 2010, 08:58:11 pm »
If so, do you sell alot?  Is it worth the effort?  Do you have to work at your sales?

Thanks!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone sell their stuff on etsy?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »
Janet,
I rarely sell any of my stuff. Most of what I make ends up as gifts. Some stuff ends up in the house and some is on display at the Woodcraft store where I teach.
I do cut pine cutouts for a couple of tole painting Teachers.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:13:21 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 11:16:34 pm »
I don't sell any of my stuff.  Although I did make some Christmas gifts for family that they then gave to others.  They buy the wood and then I supply the cutting.  This past year I made a number of the paper (or plastic) plate holders for an Aunt who gave them as Christmas presents.

The reason I don't like to sell stuff much is that once I do that I feel like it becomes less of a hobby and more of another job.  Maybe when I retire, which might be soon, I won't mind the added "pressure".  :o

Barry

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 11:19:28 pm »
Janet -

I reread your post and realize you were asking if anyone had experience with etsy.  I have never used it. Sorry.

Barry

northie66

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 11:52:30 pm »
Barry - I appreciated what u wrote thought because I'm always torn between the hobby and the selling thing. I feel the same as you that it might not be as enjoyable if I sold the stuff.

jabak

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 04:54:29 am »
Hi
I have tried to sell my puzzles on etsy without success my etsy shopname is waywoodcreations
to keep your items near the top of the listings so they show on the first page you have to keep listing items on a regular basis (thier way of making money)
I have been using it for a year and have not yet sold an item but you never know one day I might
John
www.waywood-creations.com

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:52:39 am »
I have tried to sell some things localy (Flea Market) but, not so much for "making money" as just to get rid of "stuff".  :D
I would like to sell for the price of materials at least. But, if you try to figure in the time it takes to cut a simple item, it will not sell.  >:(
Most of us scroll for fun and enjoyment, proffit, will be along time coming.  ::) If you figure the cost of a saw, sand paper, glue, finishing materials, wood, it adds up quick.  :o  Lets not even get into the 3 hours or so to do a piece or the time used to travel to a flea market or the gas or time spent in the booth just hoping someone will give you $10.00 for the bloodwood cross that you spent an hour cutting and sanding!!!  :'(
What is the minium wage these days any way?  ;D ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:57:27 am »
hi janet,

ive sold quiet a bit on ebay, but that was until they raised their prices so ive quit ebay for now. i have sold 3 things on etsy and have a few things listed there for now. i really didnt think anything of mine was good enough to sell, after i made the first few sales it felt good to know that someone thought my things were nice enough to buy.

m_r_dxn

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 01:45:25 pm »
I've never sold on etsy, but had a "non-woodworking" friend recommend that I do.  I've heard mixed results from people about their success with scroll sawed art.  I've sold a few things, but it's mostly been fretwork portraits that were specific requests.  The rest of my stuff has been gifts or for me and my family.

jim stiek

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:38:55 pm »
started listing on etsy just after the first of the year, it is real cheap, but this time if year I don't expect much, will get more agressive with the site after Sept. when the gift buying season starts. at least my site is set up and I am familiar with the posting process. Real easy once you get set up. Some folks I know sell handmade jewelry on the site and claim to do quite well.

MikesWoodShop

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:43:02 pm »
Janet,
I have an etsy store and it doesnt do as well as I would like. But for the cost the few things that I have sold will pay for me listing things for the whole year if not more.
I do sell my work, but I only make what I want and then sell it. I sell most of my stuff in person at work or through acquaintenances. I always sell for the cost of making it, labor and profit. I get alot of personal requests for custom going away gifts for work. I have also sold at craft shows and done well. It allows me to fund my trips to woodcraft and more lumber and tools.

My view of etsy is the only people that really know about it are the other etsy sellers and they too are looking to sell, so no one really buys anything. THere are some people who sell tons, dont ask how they do it.

Dragonlord85

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 11:30:45 pm »
I had never even heard of Etsy until seeing it on this forum. Is it similar to E-Bay?

MikesWoodShop

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 06:07:01 am »
Yes it is, only you buy not bid and it is for handcrafted items only.

SMF

Teknoromi