Author Topic: FYI!  (Read 2719 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: FYI!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 04:14:35 pm »
I hear you GB! All to often when in a crowd I usually just nod my head and hope someone hasn't asked me a question. Then I get that look like "did you hear me?". Then I have to explain that no I did not hear you because I'm mostly deaf in my left ear.
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 04:19:08 pm »
*lol* In the army I had a master sergeant with me who also had hearing aids on both ears. Sometimes he just switched them off. You could talk to him, he would agree on all and most people did not notice him not understanding a single word. He often switched back on when the people left our office and asked me what they wanted ;D

That's a tough decision you've got to make. I don't know how I would decide.

SheGold

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 04:56:03 pm »
Awe  GB big hugs..  :o looking at you talking slow.. I will pray for you.. Sheila

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 08:52:07 pm »
GB, thanks for explaining more about your situation.  I've had a hearing problem for years after working on my father's alfalfa mill, right alongside a big diesel engine with no muffler.  Dad thought that would cut the power, and wasn't needed.  My ears would ring for about an hour after we shut down, but it wasn't "manly" back then to wear hearing protection. Today I can't hear anything above 2,500 cycles, which isn't bad, but I don't hear many of the birds or musical instruments.  I dislike being in noisy cafes, bars, etc. because I can't understand anything being spoken. You gave good advice about facing the person being spoken to, and speaking a bit slowly.  

I find it interesting how one doesn't really fully value many of the things we have but take for granted until it's lost.  Today I have diabetes and as a result I've lost my sense of balance and have difficulty walking.  Now it's become important to me, and I know if I don't get the diabetes under control, I'll ultimately lose my feet and perhaps my eyesight. I've already had 5 laser surgeries for the eyes.  I'm ok today, and I've got it under control, but walking and seeing are much more important to me today than they were a few years ago when everything worked fine.

GB, I wish you well with your decision, and I think you've probably already made it. I can understand your anxiety about the unknown, but being able to hear is something I don't think you want to lose.  I hope that once again you can truly enjoy music!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:18:32 pm by Crabbyboater »
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 10:21:15 pm »
GB add spouses and friends to your list!
Gabby

A second thought. Have you thought how many of our young people are destroying their hearing with the LOUD stuff they play in their cars etc?
Those of us from heavy construction are affected  by noisy engines running all day. eventually the ringing doesn't go away oh and shooting doesn't do the ears any good either!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:29:24 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

tux_linux

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 04:13:59 am »
Quote from: Gabby
shooting doesn't do the ears any good either

.. that depends on where you score. ;D

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 08:51:45 am »
I know two people who have had the cocliar implants.  It profoundly changed their lives.  Mostly for the good.  The annoying sounds - you get used to - the beautiful sounds - you treasure.  That is what my friend told me.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 10:15:28 am »
Well the decision is made  and I will get the implant.
Be prepared to learn a lot about the process!

I feel like I have been designated by the "BOSS" to become a 'voice in the wilderness' and make this a teaching opportunity for ALL my friends!

One of the things I have been told is to start a daily 'journal' now and continue through the experience so I remember all the things I worried and thought as it progressed.

If it gets to be too much you guys can just skip my posts on the subject. <BG>

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 10:21:46 am »
Looking forward to the posts. 

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 10:24:04 am »
Well GB, I will be reading, so write away!

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:36 am »
And once again...My FAMILY comes through!

Thanks for the comments, thoughts, wishes, prayers and support!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 11:28:14 am »
I was out on vacation in a log cabin with the Grandkids this weekend GB, so I didn't see this thread until just now.  Sorry to hear of the problem, but I think you made the right decision.  It's right for you, and that's all that counts.  I've had several procedures for different things and they all come with benefits and unexpected "costs".  I'm sure you are familiar with it.  Overall, they are almost all worth the costs.  Know we are all pulling for you!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 11:38:38 am »
Thanks Bill...

I know when you ask someone "How are You?" you expect a generic..."Fine as frog hair on a hoptoad's butt!" but the REAL friends actually want to hear!

I'll try not to belabor the thing and just report occasionally on the progress...

For right now it is in the hands of the "Almighty Insurance/Medicare" regime!

The surgery, implant, recovery and rehab is a piece of cake compared to the damn Insurance crap!

So few in the general public actually know nor do they care about the people with 'hearing disabilities'...even our esteemed US Government does not consider Hearing Loss a disability!
But when one of the 'outsiders' has a problem all of a sudden it becomes a very BIG DEAL!

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:41:05 am by GrayBeard »

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 01:19:00 pm »
this post is reminding me to take better care of my ears. I am not one of the young people with the music too loud (although my husband is in that boat) I do spend many hours a day in a nosiy woodshop filled with 12 year olds.
good luck with the insurance and keep us posted with everything.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 02:13:58 pm »
Hey GB, let me tell you a little story. Back when I had my ear surgery, everything went well. I had no pain in my ear after the surgery except my left shoulder was killing me. It felt like I was hit by a bus! About a week later I had a post opp with the doctor. I asked him why my shoulder was hurting so bad. He thought about it for a few seconds, then said that he rested his elbows on my shoulder while working on my ear! He didn't think that it would be a problem.

SMF

Teknoromi