Author Topic: Proper way to cut 1 and 1/2 inch pine? This is a Question.... :+}  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Has anyone cut 1.5 inch pine into a JIGSAW type of design?  I made sure my table and blade were a Perfect 90 degree angle cutting on 3/4" wood.  Well after the FIRST piece I found out that the jigsaw piece would only come out from the bottom of the blank. Cry.cry....:+(  This is not Correct.  I rechecked the table/blade on another 3/4" and it was perfect.  Can anyone direct me as to what is happening?  Thanks in Advance....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Proper way to cut 1 and 1/2 inch pine? This is a Question.... :+}
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »
I've had the same problem.  Solved it by using a #9 pgt blade at high speed with a VERY slow speed feed.  The problem seems to be that the blade bows when cutting that much thickness and it results in an uneven cut, especially in the turns.  I tried some Olsen "thickwood blades" but like the pgt's better.  I did speak with one ugy who bought some #14 blades and had good success with them.  You might also check that the blade is square to the table from front to back as well.  I have done that one as well.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:26:02 pm »
Hey Danny, a while back I cut a very nice stand up puzzle and had the same problem as you. I thought my table was square to the blade. after checking with a protractor, I found my table was off by about 1/2?. I recut the puzzle, and it was perfect! I keep that first puzzle on a shelf to remind myself to always check the table for perfect square!
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:15:35 pm »
For 1 1/2" wood you need at least a #7 or #9 blade and feed the wood as slow as poss, I have had problems as well and found it was mainly the feed rate
Jimbo

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:29:52 am »
Check the tension on your blade it is probably a bit too loose as well.
I've been running mine quite tight without any breakage problems, I shoot for only about a 1/16" either side of vertical and it makes a difference! My corners are sharper and my turns are staying on the line.
(More or less, tight blade can only do so much!  ;D)
I seem to remember Steve recommending a tight blade.
For me tighter is better!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:22:30 am »
I thanks yas all for your advice n comments.  I did use a FD#7 blade and I am positive the tension was set correctly.  After experimenting afterwards it all boiled down to not a high enough speed and feeding probably to fast.  The outcome was a GOOD jigsaw piece that came out both ways.  Yea!  This was my very first project using this thinkness of wood.  Glad I wasn't using a HARD WOOD.  Anyway....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:02:59 pm »
Thanks for asking the question and for all the answers.
Cathy
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

SMF

Teknoromi