Author Topic: oscillating spindle sander  (Read 2699 times)

shutterbugdm

oscillating spindle sander
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:24:11 pm »
Question. Has anyone tried the Central Machinery Oscillating Spindle Sander?
Harbor Freight item 95088. They have a sale on until 7/31/11, regular price is $149.99 but it is on sale for $99.99. I was thinking of getting the Drill press sanding drum kits for around $30.00 but at this price it looks too good to pass up and less wear on the drill press.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: oscillating spindle sander
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 07:37:08 pm »
Number one rule...you get what you pay for. Personally I am not a fan of any power tool Harbor Freight sells. However I have not seen or tried that unit. What I would recommend is compare the specs. and spindle sizes included or available to other brand and models and see how it stacks up.
Dan In Southern California

Mainewoods

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:03:34 pm »
I have the Central Machinery OSS.  Not a heavy duty unit by any stretch, but I don't put much strain on it anyway, so it functions just fine for me.  If your looking at production work, you might want something a little more "high end".  I believe this is the same model that used to be sold by Home Depot, but with a Ryobi label on it.  Check Steve's videos, it's identical except for the label.

BTW, the July issue of Wood Magazine has a coupon for $89.  FYI

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:14 pm »
I have a spindle sander but, it is a Ridgid and cost alot more than that. I must agree with Dan, if you cant afford a good one right now, I would stick with the drill press sanding drums for now. There is nothing worse than buying a cheap tool and being fustrated with it for ever. Sometimes you can get a better one later and sell the cheaper one but, that seldom happens that way.
The old saying "You get what you pay for." is just as true as "There is no free lunch."

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:44:14 pm »
I'll disagree with the boys a bit. I havent tried the HF model, but I have a PreforMax from Menards. It was in the $99-$150 range, but I don't remember exactly. I love mine. Since I have one, I would never go back to the sanding drums on the drill press. My belt sander sits and gathers dust most of the time.
At school I have a couple of benchtop Deltas, and a floor model Jet. The better models are probably a little more durable and will likely last longer, but the machine just has to spin. I really like my off brand one, I have had it over a year and had no problems. I do a lot of sanding with it. I make jewelry and when I glue two small pieces together and want something flat it is way easier to use the spindle sander then get my knuckles on my belt sander. I have developed quite the technique with little parts ;)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:42:05 pm »
I bought the HF OSS a few months ago for $89.  I've never had one before and wasn't sure just how much I would use it, so couldn't see buying a higher ended unit.  It's a heavy unit, came with 5 or 6 various sized spindles complete with sanding drums and the wrench.  Works great for me, and if it does break down, then I'll know what I really want and buy a better OSS.  Or maybe another HF..lol.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:17:07 am »
I went another way, but I don't think it's an option any longer.  Visited a woodworking store in Tampa one day and they had an old model Delta drill press accessory which turned the drill press into an oscillating drum sander.  It uses a cam to raise and lower the quill.  I use the drums which have slots to take traditional sandpaper instead of prefab drum sleeves and have had great success with it.  I have a variety of the drums from quite small to 3 inch by about 6 inches long.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

shutterbugdm

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 10:30:19 am »
BilltheDiver

What store was it that you visited in Tampa? I live in Apollo Beach and have found one store up by USF (Craftsmen Supply Center Inc) on Busch that carries a wide selection of woods and tools.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 11:05:43 pm »
Hi shutterbugdm!  It was Craftsman Supply.  I'm not sure where they got it because I got the impression it was old, even though it appeared unused.  Nice people in that store.  I also visit Intercity  Lumber when I am out that way.  I live in St Pete, but work primarily @ MacDill AFB.  I assume you have been to Woodcrafters in Clearwater? 
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

thumbs

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 07:25:51 am »
I have an old Ryobi that started squealing  about 20 minutes after the warranty was up--that was over 10 years ago and it still does the job--nice thing is I'm always finding new sleeves for it at great prices--All I have to do is put in my ear plugs when I'm using it--Richard aka thumbs ;D ;D ;D

shutterbugdm

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 04:11:39 pm »
Well, after reading all the responses (appreciaterd) to my original question, I went to Harbor Freight and purchased their oscillating spindle sander for $99.99 (regularly $149.99) with a 2 year extended warranty for $19.99. I looked at both Rigid spincle/belt combo ($199.99 homedepot) and Sears Craftman's ($249.99) and after considering how much use compared to price decision was easy.
Again, want to thanks all of you for your opinions.

ChuckD

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 08:56:37 pm »
Smart move.  All it will do is spin and go up and down.  If you put to much pressure on it you won' get the finished job you wanted.  Have fun and good luck

Offline Northerner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 05:17:21 pm »
i think you made a good choice, especially with the ex warranty. to bad you didnt have the coupon to save
another ten bucks but wth. just keep your eye out for sleeve sales when they come around. i lucked out at
an estate auction and got a huge box full of sleeves and spindles for like $15.

let us know how it runs for you so we know and can advise the next HF buyer. maybe some pics too?
I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

SMF

Teknoromi