Author Topic: How old is Grandpaw!!  (Read 1286 times)

Mr.Mike

How old is Grandpaw!!
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:34:11 pm »
Do you fit the "age" ?

How Old is Grandpa?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end.  It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.

The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general..

The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

'      television

'        penicillin

'       polio shots

'       frozen foods

'       Xerox

'       contact lenses

'       Frisbees and

'       the pill

There were no:

'       credit cards

'       laser beams or

'       ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

'       pantyhose

'       air conditioners

'       dishwashers

'       clothes dryers

'        and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

'     man hadn't walked on the moon yet

Your Grandmother and I got married first, .. .... ... and then lived together..

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".

And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. 

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege...

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings. 

We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios. 

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey. 

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk 

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.... 

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, . .. . but who could afford one?

Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon. 

In my day:

'      "grass" was mowed,

'      "coke" was a cold drink,

'     "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

'     "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

'     "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

'      "chip" meant a piece of wood,

'     "hardware" was found in a hardware store and

'    "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.

No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.

How old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind....

you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time. 

Are you ready ?????

This man would be only 59 years old.

GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.......

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: How old is Grandpaw!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:52:51 pm »
And add 15 years to that and think of what those my age have seen evolve!

Milk was delivered by a man and a horse in a wagon and so was ice for the 'icebox'.
Trash was recycled by burning in a pit and using the ashes on the garden or in the making of soap.
God forbid...'grass' was mowed by pushing a reel mower.
Our heating fuel warmed us twice, once when we cut or split it and again when we burned it in the stove.
Kids had more than just their parents watching them. Every adult was a surrogate parent.
And on and on and on and.....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:46:07 pm »
Oh so true ......

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 06:16:27 pm »
Hey GB....And Everyone reading this.  Wow!  There is so much that Yes I actually experienced in my live and have more or less Forgotten about till something like this pops up and Wow! The memories come flashing back.

GB I am not certain about your profile picture whether it is you or someone eles.  I have gotten so used to seeing someone eles other than this one.  Bet there is a story as to why.  Yes?  Love to read it.  Later....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 08:35:08 pm »
Remember the little wax pop bottles with colored sugar water?
How about Burma-Shave signs?
Candy cigarettes?
Clothes-pinning a playing card to the fork on your bike to make it sound like a motor?
Making a "flipper" from the Y from a bush or tree and cutting up an inner-tube for the rubber bands, back when they used REAL RUBBER in them? Yes they call them sling shots now but they really aren't. For those who don't know A real sling shot is 2 strings, we used leather boot laces and the tongue from worn out shoes for the pocket. One string had a finger loop swing it hard and let it fly.
The list goes on and on-----------------
I'm a fountain of obsolete information, just bubbling over!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

marmoh

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:54:57 pm »
I have no idea what y'all are talking about .... ::) ::)

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 12:14:18 am »
In other words, all that happened since 1952?

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 12:23:38 am »
That is correct, Chuck!

In '52 I was a sophomore in High School!
The big rage at the time was Transistor Radios. The smallest you could get was about the size of a pack of Luckies.

Russia kicked off the Space Age in October of '57 with Sputnik I. All of us with short wave equipment could listen for the beeps and blips as it sent back telemetry. The onboard battery ran out in about 28 days and it burned on re-entry after about 3 months in orbit.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 01:41:53 pm »
GB, you and I are the same age, and I remember all of that.  Few people had telephones.  Plus the bathroom was about 200' out the back door, the tub was a big galvanized thing that you carried water to and then fought over who got to bathe first, and who had to empty it and put it away.  And a shower?  That was when it rained.

BTW, I was at Cape Canaveral working when Sputnik was launched, and I still remember watching it "flash" as it tumbled across the sky at night.  I had my initials on the nose cone of our first successful satellite launch, and met Von Braun.  Few remember any of that today.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

SheGold

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »
Hey and booboo's were fixed with a kiss and Mom telling us oh your alright just a scratch... Being afraid of those dreaded words wait till your Daddy gets home.. Well folks I'll soon be 57 and I do remember loads of grandpa's thoughts.. I can remember seeing my first electric typewriter in high school.. Wish those days were back so my grand kids could know what it's like to be able to run all over the neighborhood and play.. "You young uns git outside and play, and don't slam the screen door either"... Thanks for the memories... Sheila in Tx

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 03:40:02 pm »
Yes and I had to boil the copper for the bath then bail the hot water into the bath wash day was the same I had to boil the copper for the clothes washing and when the clothes looked clean drag them into a tub for rinsing then put them through a hand ringer, gas was a coin in the slot, milk delivered by horse and cart and bailed into a billy, later on we got mick bottles with card board tops really modern
This all of course was before 1952, and if you wanted to buy a new car you needed overseas funds and second hand cars were much dearer than a new one
and on and on and on, you are dead rite GB
Jimbo

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:17:14 am »
I have no idea what y'all are talking about .... ::) ::)

I'm sorry Marion, do you have amnesia?  ;D
G
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 09:31:33 am »
RE: Marion....

It MUST be amnesia!  She's too young and pretty to have memory loss or dementia!

~~~GB~~~

marmoh

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 10:16:51 am »
OK .. I confess ... used to love the Burma shave signs.  Couldn't wait to get further down the road to read the next one.   Gas in 1966 was 25 cents a gallon and a pack of cigs were 35 cents a pack.  I could feed a family of 4 on $20 a week ... may not have been fancy but we ate.  And I will take someone with common sense any day over an "educated" person.  Well let me go as I have to go "cut" the grass not "smoke" it !!!!  ;D ;D

SMF

Teknoromi