Author Topic: Pattern Design Newbie  (Read 1105 times)

DobiePaws

Pattern Design Newbie
« on: June 24, 2011, 09:18:59 am »
Hi all - I enjoy making original custom items but the drawing stage is often longer than the cutting stage. Do those of you who make custom patterns draw them by hand???? (which is what I am doing) or can a computer program actually do it for you??? Do the computer programs have limitations??? Can a computer take a hand drawn image and turn it into a fine line drawing?? Anyhow, I am interested in making my ideas come to life and looking for a more professional look and saving time ............  any help is appreciated.

Deanna
Syracuse area, NY

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Pattern Design Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:55:07 am »
Hi Deanna, Welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas. I use Coyote Stencil Shop.  It is a program that I bought for about $75.00.  There are several free ones out there that many of the others use.  I'm sure they will chime in soon.  I didn't know about the free ones until after I bought Coyote.  I do, however,  like this program.  It gives you the capabilities to layer in your background and it shows fallout and what your design will look like on different woods.  I do not regret buying it.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:11:54 am »
Hello Deanna,
I do both, patterns drawed by hand and on the computer.
to make patterns in a computer there are two kinds.
1. an image jpg (or bmp, gif, etc.)
2. a vector (cmx for me in Corel draw) 
to put a only straight line in a jpg image an inch higher (without changing the rest of it) is complicated.......
the last one is a way many programs use to change lines and curves.
can you follow me here?

to go from a hand made drawing to a jpg is 'simple' by just scanning it into the computer.
then make a B/W 2 bit image.
this can be done with changing threshold black and white  in the program.

to go from a jpg to  a vector is done by all kind of programs, the hard part is to get the lines smooth like you had them in the drawing.
each program does this a bit different then the other, but the bottom line is the same.

a quick brain dump from me on programs used by scrollers on this forum: (random order  8))
COREL 8), coyote, ink scape, glimp, paint.net, post razor and more
everyone has his/hers own favorite

so it's up to you to try and see what way you like most.

hope this was helpful
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

DobiePaws

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:40:40 am »
Thanks, maybe I just need to learn how to use the ones I have. I downloaded the free InkScape & Gimp months ago but did not find them easy to use (mainly because I don't know how). I don't want to turn a photo into fretwork, I want to turn it into a line drawing for silhouttes or word puzzles, or turn my hand drawn line pattern into a professional looking pattern. Thanks, I will look into things further. Happy scrolling!

Deanna

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:32:08 am »
Computer programs all have limitation and learning curves.What is a linitation to one person may not be to someone else that plays with the program and finds a way around the problem.  Depends on how much time you want to spend learning the program.  I use PhotoShop Elements.  Its basic compared to some of the others but it works for what I want to do with patterns and is fairly easy to learn.  Some of the programs offer a 30 day free trial or you can get a few of them free like GIMP

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:29:25 am »
use a tablet for drawing, that will make the drawing part much faster. Also can you use simple elements that you'll find on the internet. There are "free vector graphics" out there. Also check other hobbies for new ideas and even more patterns to adapt to wood working (use keywords like "free vector graphic", "silhouette" and "stencil" to only name a few).

As a simple software is "OpenOffice" (check the "draw" sketching part) and paint.net useful (both freeware).
For advanced picture patterns you'll need special software to make them.

mouse

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 08:37:43 am »
Hi Deanna,
Check out this forum at scroll saw village.
http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=f3618d9bc8b6862a2b4b145043f6d5d5
There are very comprehensive instructions for both Gimp and Inkscape

SMF

Teknoromi