Author Topic: Who all cuts puzzles?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
Who all cuts puzzles?
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:35:48 am »
Just curious how many folks here cut puzzles? 
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Who all cuts puzzles?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:38:43 am »
I do!!!  Love to cut puzzles.  I sent several puzzles to the troops.  Many of their family member sent me pictures (4X6 snapshots) and I made a simple little box to put them in.  I also love to cut stand up puzzles and childrens puzzles.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:46:39 am »
I have cut stand up puzzles, but not jigsaw puzzles. It is something I would like to try but have not to date.
So I will ask those that do, How do you mount the pictures to the wood so they stay permanently and not get damaged while cutting?
Dan In Southern California

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:59 am »
Hey Dan....Steve has a Good video about mounting your pictures to the blank etc.  Check it out and also he sells different sizes of jigsaw patterns.  I like to design my own patterns.  Your imagination has no end.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:28:29 am »
And skipper I LOVE cutting jigsaw puzzles.  To me is more relaxing than cutting a fretwork portrait.  No gots lil holes to feed z blade thru.  LOL  Danny  :+}

Chachi

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:35:46 am »
Dan I do and use Aleens (sp?) Tacky Glue I place glue on the back of the picture (Place something heavy with a flat smooth bottom on it on top of it Of course I place a sheet of wax papper on top so it does not stick to the picture or scratch it when it dries (in the Texas heat about 4 hours) I brush it on to the top of the picture let it dry till it is clear and then I cut like normal if you do more then one at a Time I suggest putting wax Papper in between sheets of wood also I free hand cut it, That is your choice though Steve sells a Great book of Patterns for puzzles.
Good luck Dan.

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:00 am »
Dan I do and use Aleens (sp?) Tacky Glue I place glue on the back of the picture (Place something heavy with a flat smooth bottom on it on top of it Of course I place a sheet of wax papper on top so it does not stick to the picture or scratch it when it dries (in the Texas heat about 4 hours) I brush it on to the top of the picture let it dry till it is clear and then I cut like normal if you do more then one at a Time I suggest putting wax Papper in between sheets of wood also I free hand cut it, That is your choice though Steve sells a Great book of Patterns for puzzles.
Good luck Dan.

When I brush the triple thick glaze on top I get smears.  I am using an ink jet printer and my own pictures.  Suggestions?

Cathy Skipper

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:52:32 am »
Hey Dan....Steve has a Good video about mounting your pictures to the blank etc.  Check it out and also he sells different sizes of jigsaw patterns.  I like to design my own patterns.  Your imagination has no end.  Danny  :+}
I should probably know this, but how do I find his tutorials?
Cathy
Cathy Skipper

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:39 am »
I cut both standing and regular jigsaw puzzles, but really prefer the latter.  I like to follow the colors when possible. 
Cathy Skipper

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:12:06 am »
@ cskipper,

Steve Goods tutorials are on YouTube. Click here: Steve Good on YouTube

You can also find the link at http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:17:56 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:13:14 am »
I use spray adhesive to stick pictures down. I also paint my own kids puzzles using coloring book images. Most of the time when using a coloring book I use carbon paper and trace the lines to wood then paint. After the paint dries a good coat of shellac or some top-coat before cutting. When cutting a kids puzzle I use "normal" blade (not the really fine puzzle blades) and make a tray for it. I find that kids like a little slop in their puzzles. I also label all the pieces and the tray with the name of the puzzle so it is easier to put them together. At my house we have a box full of puzzles and they get played with frequently.

cskipper- InkJet ink likes to run. You might try spraying something to act as a sealer before the brushed on topcoat. A spray wont smear as much because it doesn't mix and move as much as the brush.

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 11:32:22 am »
Thanks for the link to Steve's tutorial.  Do any of you use a dry press to apply photo's? 

I've tried several kind of sealer's but with little success.  I'll keep trying to find one I like.
Cathy Skipper

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 11:42:49 am »
I mount my pictures to the wood by spraying adhesive to both the back of the picture and the piece of board.  Press them together and make sure you have pressed them together well.  I always have a piece of 1/8" ply on the top and bottom of the stack.  That way any fuzzing or splintering is on those outside pieces that I throw away.

When my son-in-law was deployed, I sent him one of his daughter and him at the park.  He showed it around and I ended up cutting one for all in his unit.  I got pictures from all over the country.  It was great.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 12:32:31 pm »
Hey to all....I have successfully completed many picture puzzles in the past.  Using Steves way to mount and the 1/8" top piece.  I use Permanent spray glue.
Spray the back of the picture and also the top of the blank.  I quit messing around with my printer for my pics and started using either Walgreens Photo or Kodak.  It doesn't cost very much and you get a Professional picture all ready to mount and cut.  Later....  Danny  :+}

TomC

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 12:57:46 pm »
julie - what a neat project that turned out to be.  You made a lot of friends with that. I haven't done a picture puzzlel yet.  I did get a sample picture mounted to a piece of wood, but haven't gotten any further yet!

SMF

Teknoromi