Author Topic: Donating My Work?  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Donating My Work?
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:44:18 pm »
I made a desk cutting from oak, two lines that said "God, grant me serenity".  I donated it to an auction for an Alanon fund raiser, not knowing if anyone would want it and it brought multiple bids, finally going for $25.  Made me feel good that someone appreciated what I'd done.  (My first sale too, Dan)

But now I've had inquiries about doing more.  I've never intended selling any of my work, just giving it to family and friends.  Selling seemed too much like going back to work, and I just want the enjoyment.  So if I do "take orders" I thought about doing it as a charitable donation to either my church, or Alanon.  To do this, I thought maybe having them write a check to me for whatever amount they felt the value to be, and I in turn could donate the money to the church.  I get the tax benefit, they get the product.

So here's the question:  Am I nuts?  Is there a better way to do this?  What would you folks recommend?
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Donating My Work?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:56:58 pm »
Crabby, I'm not in this to make money, but it sure is nice when someone wants to pay you for your work.
We used to have a member (Janet), who sold on an online store. She donated all proceeds to a cancer charity. I thought that was a wonderful thing to do.
If this is what you want to do, Great!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:19:36 am »
I tried a couple of 'craft' shows to little avail.

Donated three items to "Wings of Hope" for a silent auction. The 3 brought in $80. Got a very nice thank you letter and an invitation to submit items in their next fundraiser. Those three items have generated 7 'orders' for similar pieces from people who either didn't win the auctioned items or friends of the winners.

I also donated three items to a local civic choral group for their silent auction. Those three sold for $85 and have generated 4 orders for similar pieces.

Like you I don't want or need another job/career so I tell the people ordering that I will do them in my own good time and give them a price. If they accept on my terms we have a deal. If not...Oh Well!

Of the 11 orders I have completed 6 and in doing them I 'stack cut' the items and now have a back-up of pieces for additional donations or gifts as I see fit to use them.

AND I am happy and doing what I like and am not pressured by any 'deadlines'.

A quote form a good friend..."You do what you have to do to make you happy and the hell with the rest of the world!"
It works for me!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:41:28 am »
Depends whether you can afford to a hobby for fun I certainly can't that is why I sell all I make I give to family and a few close friends, I enjoy the craft fairs and have good success and sell at a low price, most of what I earn goes back into my hobby
Jimbo   

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:10:39 am »
Like Jim, I sell most of what I make.  I only do a couple of fairs a year but have pieces in a gallery and a couple of different locations.  I still work at my own pace and do what I want.  It is very rewarding to see that people are willing to pay for what I do.  I have donated many pieces to charity and they always seem to do well at the silent auctions.

marmoh

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:13:40 am »
Do what your heart tells you to do ....

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:02:15 pm »
I don't sell, someone asked me to make something so he could buy that. I'm still not sure if I want to go that way.
Personal I like it when I give it away.
I mostly know for who I make something. if not it goes to my mind due working on it.
the joy in peoples eyes and the happiness when they find out that this is specially made for them is great for me.
I guess that part is gone when you donate, but as Marion said:
Do what your heart tells you to do ....
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:54:49 pm »
The other thing if you keeping giving you could make it a full time job, then when you refuse a request what happens do you lose a friend?
Jimbo

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:42:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.  Looks like I'm not alone in my feelings about selling as a business.  This may be a one time situation, so I'm going to accept a check from her for whatever value she sees in my work, and then donate that to the "Feed The Hungry" program at my church.  Have to admit that it's good to know someone is willing to pay, that they see value, but I'm not going to promote that.  I'm retired and plan to stay that way!  As for maybe losing a friend if I say no, she's more of an acquaintance than a friend.  I couldn't take money from a true friend.

So thanks again.  I value all of you here as friends I know, but likely will never meet.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 12:18:15 am »
Oh, Crabby.... but we do meet every time we help each other or answer a question or make a comment or tell a story...we meet all the time!

Glad I have as many friends as I do, and most of them I have never SEEN in real life but I feel I have met them.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 01:29:47 am »
Ditto and amen, GB.  We're blessed to have so many friends.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 08:37:54 am »
I love giving my pieces away, but on the other hand, it gets very expensive buying wood and supplies. So, I give some, sell some. I am donating my first piece to an organization that helps the disabled, They are having an auction in Las Vegas, I'm excited about that. Being disabled myself, it is very fufilling to do the work and put a smile on someones face.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 10:20:18 am »
I love giving my pieces away, but on the other hand, it gets very expensive buying wood and supplies. So, I give some, sell some. I am donating my first piece to an organization that helps the disabled, They are having an auction in Las Vegas, I'm excited about that. Being disabled myself, it is very fufilling to do the work and put a smile on someones face.

I find i great to have so many scrolling friends, with all a personal story.
Didn't know you are disabled, I can imagine that doing it this way it adds extra value to the whole give-away/donating subject.
thanks for sharing this.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

tux_linux

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 02:56:03 am »
Quote from: Crabbyboater
I'm going to accept a check from her for whatever value she sees in my work

I don't know if this works. Might be more efficient to call a "price + whatever they want to donate additional".
Otherwise you won't get orders because people will feel insecure about what to give.

The idea itself is wonderful!

regards
Torsten 

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 11:22:04 am »
Most people have a job and a hobby, when the hobby pays more than the job, give up the job, but then they need a new hobby!!! a high price to pay.
iggy
Frustration is the food of invention.

SMF

Teknoromi