Author Topic: Ryobi Scroll Saw  (Read 7893 times)

djroye

Ryobi Scroll Saw
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:17:12 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with the Ryobi Scroll Saw.  I bought a Skil saw over a year ago and say things that I can't post here when I use it.  I want to upgrade, but can't afford the Excaliber (maybe when I retire!).  Any feedback on this would be appreciated.  I like my other Ryobi equipement, but don't want to waste money on this if it's going to give me the same headaches as my present saw.
 :o

Donna

shissta

Re: Ryobi Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:39:05 pm »
I am currently using a Ryobi myself.  It's my first scroll saw (less than one year old) so I can't say its bad or anything but I have recently ordered a Dewalt DW788.  The Ryobi does vibrate some and blade changes can be a little bit of a hassle especially on the bottom.  For lack of the proper term the 'blowtube' that keeps the sawdust off quit working after about a month so now I have to remove it the old fashioned way.  Other than those issues I use it often and have done lots of cutting with it. 

Your exactly right Russ on getting what you paid for.  I bought it soley on price and am upgrading now. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:58:05 pm by shissta »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:49:38 pm »
I hate to tell you this but Ryobi is another one of those low end scrollsaws just like Skil. Some people buy them and seemed to be satisfied while others curse and complain. I am afraid the old saying "you get what you pay for" is true when it comes to buying a scrollsaw. You have to look at it as an investment to happy scrolling.  Are you going to use it occasionally, or everyday? Because those low end saws won't last as long as the high end. You are the one who is going to be using it with a smile or a frown. Hope this helps.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »
Hi folks, I also have a Ryobi (sw180). It is about 2 yrs old and has given me good service until lately. Just last week one of the screws that holds the housing together fell out. The others were fine a few needed to be tightened. The screw that fell out cannot be re-screwed into it's place, I cannot figure it out. To take the thing apart means that I will have to fool with the bearings, and I don't want to do that. Any suggestions.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:37 pm »
i started with a Ryobi and used it for a couple of years with no problems. I upgraded to the DeWalt 788 and found out that while not problems per say, there are things about the Ryobi that are not the greatest. The needing pin end blades and a tool to change blades being two that come to mind. My advise would be go the the DeWalt if at all possible.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:43:19 pm »
I puscashed my Ryobi on internet auction  [only because I got so cheap]and it used to viabrate so much that one day the bolt came out of the driving mechanism, since I have fixed it it OK at about 3/4 speed, changing pinless blades is a real pain and at times can be frustrating to a point I say naughty words.
Jimbo

Dan

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:57:46 pm »
I started with a ryobi. I got it as a gift 10 years ago. Never used it until last September. It was ok but blade changes are harder, and blade tension is not as consistent. The vibration was not bad.
I bought a 788, and am pleased with it. If you are going to pay $100 plus for a Ryobi, I would save and look for a deal on a Dewalt.

Dan

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:35:42 am »
On the Ryobi I have there are turn screws with plastic caps on them to tighten and loosen the blades. One day the lower plastic cap came off and underneath, the screw is fitted to receive a # 3 allan key. I always found the plastic cap difficult to tighten so now I just use a long shaffed allen key  to set the blades in the saw.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 04:27:35 pm »
I started out about 7 years ago with a  Tradesman that I got from Ace hardware ($100.00) it used pin blades and vibrated so bad that I had trouble keeping it on the table. I used it for about two years (not knowing any better)
A friend recomended trying a Dremel from Lowes ($200.00) and I thougt it was the "cats meow" for 3 or 4 years of use. It did serve me well and I learned to love scrolling again.
Then I found this web site and Steve Good (and another friend) convinced me to buy a DeWalt. I saved my pennys, looked for the best price, and found it at Grizzlys on sale for $450.00 or so!!!   WHOW!!!
I'm sure there better saws around but, the prices are out of my range.
As was said before "You get what you pay for" so take this for what it is worth from a happy scroller.
As time an money permit, I highly recomend a foot "dead man" switch, an auxriary light or two and an "easy lift" for the upper arm. Sure makes life worth scrolling!! ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

djroye

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 09:53:30 pm »
Thanks for the comments!  I've decided to wait and get a DeWalt when I can.  I appreciate all of your comments.  :)

AnotherSteve

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 09:44:00 am »
I bought my first scroll saw about a month ago.  I bought a factory reconditioned Ryobi SC164VS for about $80 on line.  Since I had never used a scroll saw in my life, I didn't want to spend much on it in case it was not "my cup of tea".  Needless to say I love scrolling!!! 

The Ryobi is certainly not a DeWalt 788, but I have found it great for a beginner like myself with a limited budget.  The blades are not as easy to change as a DW, but after a little practice, I have gotten pretty fast at it.  The first things I did was get rid of the hold down and order FD blades from Mike.  I also put a plexiglass top on mine which made it easier to use. I put my saw on an old piece of carpet and the vibration is just about negligible. Yesterday I finally bought a foot switch that I used for a few minutes last night and know it will be great. 

If my choice was  between getting a cheap saw and having fun scrolling OR waiting to get a DeWalt until I could afford it, you know what I would do. 

Curt

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 01:16:53 pm »
I started with a $176.00 Hitachi that I bought at Lowe's..I used it for about two months and it stopped working.  Well in those two months I found that I really liked Scrolling so I bought an EXcalibur 21" and LOVE it. More money but well worth it.

m_r_dxn

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 06:35:42 pm »
I've been using a Ryobi 16" VS for over 10 years.  It takes either pinned or pinless blades.  I had the same thing happen with the thumbscrews as already stated and do the exact same thing.  I have bought replacement parts, which are dirt cheap, and spruced it back up.  It's certainly not a dewalt, and sometimes I cuss and fuss with it, but all in all I have gotten my money out of it years ago and it's still going strong.  It's no cadillac of scroll saws, but a resourceful fellow can make it do anything that you want to do with a scroll saw.

SMF

Teknoromi