Author Topic: change of game plan  (Read 1199 times)

thumbs

change of game plan
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:38 am »
Well, I did my first craft show of the year yesterday--It was a real dud-they put me inside a store front with three other vendors--Very few people came by the store, and fewer people came in. After 7 hours, enough was enough, packed up and headed home--After all cost , booth, food, etc  I was only $6 in the hole. So now I have been thinking. Never mind cutting for show and start cutting for myself.. Doing the things that I like to do. Work more on intarsia/segmentation. Maybe dig out the graphics table and try patterns again-- Any thing but worrying about what might or might not sell. Does this make sense to anyone???--Richard aka thumbs

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: change of game plan
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:23:22 am »
make perfect sense to me.here where i'm at hard job to give something away let alone sell something unless someone asks for something that want done.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:57:43 pm »
After doing two shows last year and coming out $80 ahead for the two days plus all the preparation time I decided the same thing!
Since that time I hae done a lot of presents for family and donated 7 pieces to various 'silet auctions'.
From the donations I hae sold more than I did at the two shows and they were on a 'request basis' and I was able to charge more and actually make a bit of profit.

This is MY hobby and I do it for ME! If I happen to please someone and get an order or two that's fine but I will NOT attempt to make this a 'late life career'.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:12:33 pm »
Makes perfect sense, I'm with every thing GB wrote and it'swhat I do.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

marmoh

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:26:26 pm »
My friends keep telling me to do stuff and go to a street fair.  I keep saying NO.  My sister does beautiful oil paintings and it is the same thing.  Get great comments but no $$$$.  I would rather do something for someone I know as a gift.  It gives me time to think about that person and what they mean to me as I am cutting. 

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:38:51 pm »
Hey Everyone....  Long story Short.  Bout two years ago my youngest Daughter talked me into setting up a booth at her sons school.  I had NEVER ever thot about selling my crafts.  They went to family and friends for special occasions etc.  I WAS HAPPY DOING THIS.  Anyway my Daughters Craft Show was a Huge success.  Made lil over $400.00 profit.  YeePeeYea!
Then I got the bug.  Second show was at a kind of FLEA MARKET.  Bad decisiton.  Lost!  Then a old time HUGE flea market here.  Two days and Bad!
Then the next year came with the same school.  Two days and Bad!  And finally I wanted to try a NEW one (First Time thing) The wife n I drove to the location and Wow! It was 10 miles off the main road and in the middlle of a huge cow pasture!  We didn't do it, but did pay the fee and Yepper!  Lost it.
Got a email from them saying they were sorry that so many vendors decided to close up early on Saturday.  Made me feel good.  Yeepeeyea!  Now come November we gonna do my daughters craft show again (Third time)  If this is not GOOD.  i SHALL QUIT TRYING TO SELL MY CRAFTS.  Now I would look forward to all of you-alls posting your feelings.  Thanks....Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

cameronj

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:03:18 pm »
When I started scrollsawing over 10 years ago, I was doing craft shows at the school, community center, etc. and always coming out ahead.  Yeah!!! I didn't do many projects except those I wanted to try to sell.

The shows went on for about 5 - 6 years, and of course, my ability to cut improved.  I wanted to do more difficult projects that took longer to do.  When I took any of these items to a show and tried to recover most of the labour in the selling cost, I didn't sell too much.  Frustration.

So for about 4 - 5 years now, I havent' done a show.  I am able to do some of those projects that I "always wanted to do".  Of  course, I am always coming across others to do.  But I have displayed alot of projects  (easy and difficult) in my office at work, and people have asked me to do special things for them, or to 'make another one' of the items in the office for them.  I scroll many of the gifts that my wife and I give to others. 

So, no, I don't miss the craft shows, and don't make alot of money now, but I find I am enjoying my hobby more since I am doing the patterns that I really want to do.

Jim

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 09:17:38 pm »
I have never done any craft shows of any kind, but have done quite well from (Word of mouth). I've always said that I'm making Intarsias as a hobby and when i get tired of doing them of it becomes a chore I'll quit and find something else to occupy my time.  If it's not fun It's not worth doing.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:47:11 pm »
My take on the crafts thing is, they are discretionary items, and people may like and even want them but pass them up for essentials. Even more true with todays economy.
Gas is over $4.00 here guess where I'll spend my allowance?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 03:22:15 am »
If you are going to do craft shows or any other type of selling you must have a big variety, this attracts people to your table, then you have the opportunity of selling your wares, you must also remember  you have to keep your price at a level that will make a sale, you will not get retail prices for your goods, you may not even get a fair return for the hours you put in to some of your things but you can make it up on others, swings and round a bouts 
Ive been selling my stuff for 8 years and have the occasional bad fair but not many and it is fun
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi