Author Topic: Table Extension  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Table Extension
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:24:45 pm »
To refresh memories. I've been experiencing difficulties while cutting a large round plaque on my Delta.
Due to the wood hanging out over the side causing me to have to bear down pretty hard to keep it from flipping up, which made it hard to know how much pressure I was using to feed the blade properly. Tension built up pretty fast leading to sore arms and a stiff neck.
Not to mention frustration!

Well I believe I have the problem licked!
The Boss Lady while shopping found a Polypropylene cutting board 3/8" by 15" by 20" which I have figured out how to mount to the cast iron table with a simple block and clamp arrangement.
I had to take the table off the saw in order get it centered properly and to do the layout for the clamps and guide blocks. The 2 blocks are positioned opposite each other as are the clamps. They are at 11:00 and 5:00 then 8:00 and 2:00 as viewed on a clock.
I have some counter sunk 1/4" stove bolts long enough to go through the blocks and clamps, and some wing nuts for the clamps, so that it can be removed easily when cutting smaller stuff.
The poly is SLICK stuff so I'm a little concerned whether it is going to want to turn with the vibration and with moving the wood. If it does I think I have a solution for it. Save that for later if situation warrents.
So to FINALLY  draw this to a close, if the weather gods smile tomorrow I'll get the saw back together and try it out! Keep your fingers crossed for me. I might even try and post a photo so you can see how it all goes together.
I hope you have found this entertaining and informative, perhaps even educational. Ha ha Gabby the teacher. LOL
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Re: Table Extension
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:55:03 pm »
_______X_____  (that's crossed fingers)  Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:04:01 am »
Thanks Pete I appreciate the good wishes.
We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Gabby
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:33:17 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:18:25 am »
Hi Gabby.
               I had a problem cutting small pieces because of the size of the inset plate hole so I just put some polished 3/4" MDF on the table with a 1/4" hole in it for the blade and countersunk 4No 1/4" coach bolts through the MDF and table top more or less on each corner with a washer and wingnut underneath. the holes in the bed have no effect on it what so ever and the MDF bed seems to help dampen down the vibration of the saw at high speeds.

LOL Iggy

Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:25:05 am »
OK here is my table extension, photo shows the under side with centering blocks and clamps. Photo has notes included. Feel free to use the idea if you need it. I may use some short screws to anchor the larger clamp blocks from turning which would make it easier to mount on the table.

I suspect I may have to take it off to replace or change a blade.
I used it today and it works like a charm, I could actually handle that 18" plaque with just finger tip pressure no more forcing it down on the table. Yaaahhhooooo!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 07:04:47 am »
Gabby upon seeing you photo I had to write this reply, now to sea if I can put it into words that are understandable.
When I had my Delta I made an xtra large table top, but I made a ring that fitted the hole in the original table top and that was glued and nailed to the under side of the new bigger top and as you can guess the top could be lifted on and off at will ( no clamps/bolts).
Does all that make sense I had photos once I'll have a look but no promise.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:56:10 am »
That makes sense Merlin.

I think both solutions are good and will do the job.

Thanks for posting a photo - that's always a good explanation.

regards
Torsten

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:09:52 pm »
Gabby upon seeing you photo I had to write this reply, now to sea if I can put it into words that are understandable.
When I had my Delta I made an xtra large table top, but I made a ring that fitted the hole in the original table top and that was glued and nailed to the under side of the new bigger top and as you can guess the top could be lifted on and off at will ( no clamps/bolts).
Does all that make sense I had photos once I'll have a look but no promise.

***Merlin***

Ok lets see if I have this right. you made it so that the ring would fit the blade hole and it kept the top centered on the iron table top and you didn't need clamps to hold it in place. and You could just lift it off to change blades? Do I have it right?
Why didn't I think of that??????   LOL
GAbby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

sbudinger

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:18 pm »
Looks good to me Gabby thanks for sharing and remember if it works don't fuc_ with it.LOL

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:14:44 am »
Gabby....Correct, and if you hold your mouth the right way (don't ask which way) you can change the blade with it in place.

Now I hope I have not pis*sed you off too much, but hey your idea works, it an't broke don't fix it.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:24:02 am »
Looks good to me Gabby thanks for sharing and remember if it works don't fuc_ with it.LOL

Well I'm never satisfied until I improve it till it won't work any more. LOL

Merlin, it would take a whole lot more than that to P me off, as a matter of fact I looked at it again (thanks to you) and am going to try it with just blocks to keep it centered, that way I can just lift it off to change a blade. If that works I won't need the clamps which are a bit of a pain to tighten.
I'll let you all know how that turns out after I do some more cutting tomorrow. Now if it jumps up and falls off the saw it will be all your fault! LMAO we really need an icon just for that.

Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

SMF

Teknoromi