Author Topic: scrollsaw  (Read 3575 times)

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
scrollsaw
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:52:31 am »
Do you stand or sit at your saw?
Right now I stand but think I'm going to find a place to put a table where I can sit

I'm not very good with this scroll sawing but its fun.

Have a fun week
JP
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Bill P

Re: scrollsaw
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:12:20 am »
I sit.  I've got everything measured out so my feet are flat on the floor.  That made a huge difference in my comfort level.

Bill

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:07:14 pm »
I'm currently a 'leaner'!
I use an industrial type stool I got at a yard sale for $3 and shortened the legs so that I sort of 'sit/lean'.

Working on plans right noe to take my DW788 off the metal stand and build a box for it so I can SIT.

~~~BG~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:23:42 pm »
I sit on a bar stool. My feet usually sit on the cross beam of my DeWalt stand.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:03:17 pm »
I sit. I made a stand for my saw and it's mounted to a mobile base so I can move it around.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 01:26:09 pm »
B G I'm a beginner also.

From what I see of others work I will always be a beginner.

I think being a beginner is great because your learning & that's where the fun is.
If your a master you just go out make some thing ,that's it,which is OK if you use it for a living.

Bet I get a lot of flak on this.

Life is fun,if your taking it serous your missing the fun.
JP
Jeave a SMILE
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Graywolf

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:58:13 pm »
I set also. I am just starting to scroll, so I have a lot to learn. It sure is fun. I have a stoll that was too short for my saw. So I screwed two 2 X 4's to the legs, that attach two legs,  then screwed two more pieces of 2 X 4 under them and it works great. I rest my feet on the cross peace of the saw table.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 06:10:03 pm »
i sit unless i'm doing something big like my latest project which is around 4 feet in length and 2 feet wide then i got to stand up to cut alot of it.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

CNLNC

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »
I think it depends on what is comfortable for you. I currently sit in a chair, but am looking to change to a stool.

I sit on a bar stool. My feet usually sit on the cross beam of my DeWalt stand.
Hey Dan, what Bar do you go to that let's you scrollsaw there? I need to find a bar like that! ;D ;D ;D

Joesawdust

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:21:54 pm »
Honestly, I'm too lazy to stand ;D plus I've been known to cut for 2-3 hours without a break. On the other hand when I do sit for extended periods of time, I have to shift around some, if not my hips go to hurting something fierce when I do stand up. That happens even when I sit in the recliner. guess the ol' hips are showing some wear.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 10:31:09 pm »
I started as a stander, then switched to a sitter. Much more comfortable for me and I can do it for longer periods of time. I made a "seat" I straddle and its very comfortable.
Bill

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:07:43 pm »
B G I'm a beginner also.

From what I see of others work I will always be a beginner.

I think being a beginner is great because your learning & that's where the fun is.
If your a master you just go out make some thing ,that's it,which is OK if you use it for a living.

Bet I get a lot of flak on this.

Life is fun,if your taking it serous your missing the fun.
JP
Jeave a SMILE
Just had to pile on here you sound like my kind of guy, and I seldom miss a bet to poke a little fun
(just ask Marion)  ;D
Gray Beard wasn't signing off with BG as his initials, that is short for Big Grin! LOL You've been poked!!!
As far as being beginners we are all beginners not only here but at life. Every second is the first in the rest of your life. They say if you challenge your mind with problems it helps stave off senility, I guess I'd better get busy.  ;D

As to your question, i'm one of those half a$$3d sitter / leaners, with a bar stool with half a cheek on it.
It isn't the best or most comfortable but untill I get around to building a custom stand for the saw it will have to do. My saw is currently clamped to a heavy table sort of a tall picknic table. Too short to stand up and too tall for a regular chair. Woe is me. LOL
I hope this leaves y'all totally corn fused, which I am most of the time. Big Grin
Gabby
PS
wedo can you show a drawing or photo of your straddle seat? I'd like to see if that would work for me.
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SheGold

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 05:15:01 am »
Well I'm a sitter I use an old computer chair.. Thats how I learned.. There are times that I stand but I'm usually sitting.. Sheila in Tx

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:29:46 am »
Thanks all  Looks like butt placement is the way to go.
That is good because I added a shelf to the end of my workbench yesterday & mounted my saw to it,now maybe I will use it a little more.
I had my saw 5 years before I ever used it.

Poke back
Gabby if I remember right you live on the southern Oregon coast.
Are you sure you have not misspelled your name.
I don't think those traps they use are called Gabby traps.

By the way its raining on the Central Oregon coast today.
JP
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Chachi

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 10:32:45 am »
I started out a stander Now I am a sitter Since I bought My mag/light and I feel so much better at the end of the day although I have kinda gotten a little lazy now I sit when I am doing any project in my shop lol.

SMF

Teknoromi