Author Topic: To the Pattern Makers here...  (Read 1589 times)

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
To the Pattern Makers here...
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:19 pm »
A suggestion. Maybe when someone needs a pattern, one of us can "Call It" so that others don't spend time on the same thing. A simple "I got it" post or something to that effect to let the other pattern makers know that someone is already working on it. As we all know it takes a lot of time and effort to make a pattern, and more than one usually isn't necessary.

For instance Scollroger has a really cute dog up, I'm reluctant to start on it for fear that someone else is already doing it. Plus, I just have had no success so far with dog's, I know you guys are much better than me at dogs.

Let me know if this is a good suggestion or not.

Bob

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: To the Pattern Makers here...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:53:13 pm »
Hey Bob, I'm not a pattern designer, but I can certainly understand your reluctance to start on a pattern only to find out someone has already finished it before you. It's much like spending five or ten minutes typing a response to a question, and finding out some one has already posted an answer to it!
Dan In Southern California

Waddawood

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:26:35 pm »
Lol, I feel your pain.  I generally take an hour or more to do a pattern so I rarely do the on-the-spot free ones anymore.

yankeebum2

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »
hi Bob, Not a designer but i think thats a great idea.

grampa

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:57:38 am »
Hi Bob, If you request a pattern i think its nice to have a choice every designer has there own style when makeing patterns, we get a great responce when a pattern is requested and there could be 3 or 4 different ones to choose from but one just catches your eye and you know that its the one you want to cut, I myself
don,t mind if my pattern is not cut, I just enjoy making them.........Paul

Waddawood

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:26:33 am »
I think he agrees with you for the most part.  I think he's just referring to when the pattern takes a while to do only to be passed up lol.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:17:44 pm »
Paul, by no means was I saying "only one pattern should be made" and I apologize if it sounded that way, that was not the intent. I'm just trying to come up with a way that several of us don't make the same pattern at the same time, unless you want too. If it's a pattern you like and want to do, then by all means go ahead and do it. I'm sure the one requesting the pattern would love more than one option.

As for myself, I am brand new to pattern making (it takes me several hours to complete a pattern), I have done several that have not been posted as practice. I'm still not nearly as good or as quick at it as you are. So please don't take the initial post the wrong way. I have all the respect in the world for your abilities, and the others here, and hope to one day be half as good as you are. But for me anyway, I know when you start a pattern it is a rather large time commitment, and I simply wanted away for other pattern makers here to decide whether or not they want to make that time commitment knowing that someone else has already started working on it.  To me it's a matter of simple communication, any decisions are personal ones, by announcing that someone is working on a pattern is just added info to help in someone's decision to make a pattern or not. I hope that makes sense.

Bob

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:52:06 am by TripleB »

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:15 am »
Bob, Do not hesitate to post your pattern even if someone else has done one.  The differences in interpretation are sometimes startling.  We all see things a little differently.  I, for one, enjoy seeing the same picture done by different artists.  I am impressed with what you have posted so far.  Keep up the great work.

cameronj

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 09:53:55 am »
Bob, I agree with Julie.  I have enjoyed seeing 2 - 3 different designs of one photo by various designers.  There is always 1 that each person will like a bit better than one of the others.  And that doesn't mean I prefer one designer to another.
It's like shopping for a car....you look at a lot before making your decision.
Jim

grampa

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:03:20 am »
Hey Bob I know what your saying its just that i am rubbish at typing what i mean,sorry, ::) I have had hundeds of patterns not cut don,t take it to heart and yes its a good idea if we say "I will have a go" that way the person knows how many they can choose from, if you start to make patterns of say,cars,bikes, animals it is good practice for you and yes they will get cut, people are the hardest because you have a reference and see them side by side and the more you do the quicker you become. looking forward to seeing some of your patterns......Paul

SMF

Teknoromi