Author Topic: Table top question  (Read 1158 times)

BRE1205

Table top question
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:04:58 pm »
Maybe silly, but a question nevertheless.  As most saw tables are made of aluminum (and steel), how do you folks deal with oxidation transfer to the underside of your project?  Or do you just not worry about it since it is usually covered with a backer. (It's the backide anyway, right?)
Just wonderin' !
Billie Ray

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Table top question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 02:23:22 pm »
Use Johnson's paste wax or any wax that does not contain silicone on your table. It will keep the table smooth and slick, and will keep the oxidation off of your work piece.
Dan In Southern California

Tako Kichi

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:01:39 pm »
What Dan said plus if you wrap the project in clear packing tape (the tape is made of Teflon and lubricates the blade as you cut) then the wax won't get onto the back face anyway.

BRE1205

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:28 pm »
Thanks fellers. I put tape on the bottom, like I do under the pattern. Now to go wax the table!  I appreciate the advice. Ya'll take care.
Billie Ray

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:32:48 pm »
Billie Ray, The reason you don't want a wax with silicone is the silicone can interfere with finishes. It will cause what is called fisheyes in most finishes. Most car waxes contain silicone. I use Minwax Finishing wax because it is what I have on hand. Most folks use Johnson's floor wax.
Dan In Southern California

Offline woodworker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:34:13 am »
i rub some baby powder onto my dw788,it keeps the moisture at bay and makes the projects slide easy

BRE1205

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:40:45 pm »
Thanks ya'll. I appreciate the info.
Catch ya later,
Billie Ray

Tako Kichi

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 03:06:52 pm »
i rub some baby powder onto my dw788,it keeps the moisture at bay and makes the projects slide easy
The purpose of baby powder is to draw moisture away from the baby and into the powder. I fear that all you are doing is making your saw/table more attractive to moisture. The powder is extremely fine grained and will get into all the microscopic  hills and valleys on your table holding the moisture in close contact with the metal you are trying to protect.

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 03:08:31 pm »
Billie Ray, you may want to do like myself and others have done, and that is to give your table a good sanding with some extra fine sandpaper before you wax it.  Then wipe it off with mineral spirits so there's no residue when you apply the wax.  Good luck!

SMF

Teknoromi